Old School Salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Mexico Karen gave us a Very Authentic salsa recipe from Real Mexico, where the tomatos and vegies are fried untill just darkened...

This is how Mrs Munoz's mother ( we just all called her "abuelita") made her salsa, and it was usually served Warm and verrry good, Abuelita didn't speak English untill a few choice curse words to get us out of her kitchen, ha ha I haven't thought of this in some years! but now I can't locate Mexico Karen's recipe, I think it was under like red vs. green salsa for Jeenkins...

Eric, Austin, Tx.

"Your red sauce sounds like a Salsa Ranchero, which is pretty hot, and is also served universally here as a table salsa. Here is a recipe:

2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 pounds (about 4 large) fresh ripe tomatoes, roasted
5 serrano chiles, roasted
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (neutral flavor, safflower, canola)
2 rounded tablespoons finely chopped white onion
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste) preferably sea or Kosher salt

Place garlic, tomatoes and chiles into a blender or food processor and blend to a slightly chunky (not smooth) sauce.

Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and add the onion and cook until it becomes translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the blended ingredients and cook over high heat till reduced by half. Make sure to keep scraping the bottom of the pan. There will be flecks of charred tomato and chile skin which is the way the sauce should be."

That's it!

Thanks You Alix and Karen...

Eric.

Back
Top Bottom