Onions On a Hot Dog Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a hot dog restaurant in Western New York called Ted's Hot Dogs. They have the most fabulous sauce for their hot dogs i have ever tasted. They have recently started bottling it and selling it on line and in local supermarkets, but before that happened I managed to come up with a clone of their sauce. It has onions in it, but not enough to bother my digestive system, and I am very sensative to onions.

Ted’s Hot Dog Sauce

Ingredients:

1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, dliced
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 cups water
1 Tbs tomato paste
2 tsp corn syrup
1 tsp cornstarch
½ tsp salt
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 Tbs chile powder
1 tsp paprika
¼ cup vinegar
1 10oz jar sweet pickle relish
Instructions:

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Sauté diced onion and bell pepper in the oil for 5 minutes, until onions are soft but not brown.
Add water, tomato paste, corn syrup, cornstarch, salt, and red pepper flakes, and stir.
Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add vinegar. Continue to simmer for an additional 30 minutes or until the liquid has reduced and the sauce is thick. Add relish and stir to heat through, then turn OFF burner.

Last edited:
DA likes to split the hot dogs one half the way through it, stuff the cheddar cheese in it lengthwise, wrap it with the partially cooked bacon, (when it is soft) and hold the things together with the toothpicks.

These are called Whistle Pigs, also a native of Western New York. They originated in a little drive-in outside of Niagara Falls called , for obvious reasons, Page's Whistle Pig. Of course, now they use Cheez Whiz, but originally it was cheddar cheese stuffed inside the hot dog.

These are called Whistle Pigs, also a native of Western New York. They originated in a little drive-in outside of Niagara Falls called , for obvious reasons, Page's Whistle Pig. Of course, now they use Cheez Whiz, but originally it was cheddar cheese stuffed inside the hot dog.

Oh I see! Oh no, Cheese Whiz can not stand to the heat of the broiler, can it? But I like the idea of the Whistlepig and I thank you for the history of it!

You did know I like the history of the foods. Thank you!

Your friend,
~Cat

One of the things I do when I am making salsa is I pull off the liquid from the tomatoes (to which I have added seasoning) and then use that juice to sweat out the onions. The onions end up with a chilpolte-salsa flavor. I add those back into the salsa, but you could probably do s/thing like that when sweating onions--add some seasoning, salsa, etc.

One of the things I do when I am making salsa is I pull off the liquid from the tomatoes (to which I have added seasoning) and then use that juice to sweat out the onions. The onions end up with a chilpolte-salsa flavor. I add those back into the salsa, but you could probably do s/thing like that when sweating onions--add some seasoning, salsa, etc.

That sounds good.

Nice fat hot dog with mustard and finly chopped sweet onion OR hot dog grilled with a bun grilled as well and coated with Woodies bbq sauce yummy.
kades

My family was stationed in Denmark and their polse hot dogs were delicious. They were more red colored than american hotdogs, and oh so good. I've not had Danish polse hots dogs here in the US.

Last edited:
My family was stationed in Denmark and their polse hot dogs were delicious. They were more red colored than american hotdogs, and oh so good. I've not had Danish polse hots dogs here in the US.
Did you ever have them from a pølsevogn (sausage wagon)?

I'm not a great aficionado of the hot dog mainly because they aren't very good here but when I do have them I like fried onions on them with a squiggle of tomato ketchup (it has to be Heinz) and a squiggle of American or German-type mustard. I'm rather partial to Ikea hot dogs but they don't do onions - grrr!

We do something in the islands that you might have fun with. We call it Shoyu-sugar dogs.

Slice dogs diagonally and sauté them, add 1/2 Cup soy sauce. 1/3 Cup Brown (or white) Sugar to the sauté pan. Cook the dogs and sauce together. The sauce will get a little sticky and gooey (but in a good way.) You can also add some garlic and onion to this and make it into teriyaki dogs.

Spoon on a bun and enjoy. Aloha.

I saw something "pinned" somewhere else that I thought was a cute idea for the little ones. You take several dry pieces of spaghetti and push then through a hot dog lengthwise then you boil the hot dogs ans serve. I have not tried this but I'll bet this would fascinate the little guys.

I saw something "pinned" somewhere else that I thought was a cute idea for the little ones. You take several dry pieces of spaghetti and push then through a hot dog lengthwise then you boil the hot dogs ans serve. I have not tried this but I'll bet this would fascinate the little guys.
I'm pretty sure someone posted a pic of that here a while ago.

My usual is raw onions, dill relish and ketchup for me
but My all time favorite is - the hot dog then chili, onions, sauerkraut and a spicy brown mustard. That a knife and fork kinda dog.

Hoot, did you ever find your grandmother's chow chow recipe? I was going to send you my MIL's recipe, but I can't find that either. Someone is stealing the chow chow recipes.

I prefer my hot dog just plain on a toasted bun. If it available, I do like sauerkraut on it. Not ever vendor has it here. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom