Orange Marmalade - Wondrous stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I LOVE orange marmalade. There are many brands ranging from sweet and smooth to bitter and snappy and you can make your own of course but my go to staple is Made by King Kelly. It's cheap, has loads of peel and awesome flavor!

orange.jpg Beyond the obvious punchy topping for toasted muffins and bagels it's a miracle ingredient. Fast, fun and zesty.

Zesty orange Salad Dressing: Dollop of orange marmalade, olive oil, vinegar, orange juice and a little prepared mustard.

Fast Glazed Beets: In skillet melt 1/4 cup of marmalade, 1/4 cup butter, juice form 1/2 lemon, cracked pepper and salt. Add a can of sliced beets and heat through, coating with glaze.

Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings: Mix up Marmalade, hot sauce and honey. Grill wings until cooked. Brush with glaze and grill another few minutes being careful not to burn.

Yogurt: Add a tablespoon to plain yogurt

Creamcheese icing: 1 block of cream cheese, 1/2 C marmalade, 1 tsp vanilla, juice of 1/2 lemon, 2 cups powdered sugar

Tangy Pork Chops: 1 T soy sauce, 1/3 C marmalade, 1 C orange juice, 1 T balsamic Vinegar, minced garlic, 1 t water. Combine. Cook pork chops in frying pan. remove chops from pans and deglaze pan with orange mixture. Pour over Chops and serve.

Do you love orange marmalade too?

I do! My mom always loved the Canadian one in the tin, it was quite bitter, but tasty. Will have to get some.

Such great ideas and thanks Janet.
My grandparents lived right here in this California town and had lemon, grapefruit, and orange trees. They made the most wonderful mixed citrus marmalade. Grandpa would kill one of their chickens and Grandma would use the marmalade to cook it although I was too young to know how she did it.
I do remember however, it was the best chicken I've ever eaten. Hmmm, I have to Google and see if any recipes might jar my memory.

Last edited:
My first husband loved the stuff. I found it to be bitter. The Pirate loves it, the rest of the kids don't. I did use it once as a glaze for a roasted chicken. Fabulous stuff! :angel:

Not all marmalade is super bitter. The type of oranges used makes a big difference in this regard. Typically the british version is made with Seville oranges and they are more bitter. The King Kelly variety is less bitter and a little sweeter but more importantly it's very intensely ORANGE. You might like it.... ;)

Where do you get the King Kelly, Janet? We just get mostly Smuckers around here.

I use Orange Marmalade on baked ham. I got the recipe from the Food Network. It works so well with the ham!

I get it at the local grocery store - It's almost always on the bottom shelf out of the way and is about the cheapest stuff they have. I see it's for sale on amazon but I can't imagine paying the postage. It runs about $3.00 a bottle here.

Thanks, I'll look for it, we have a couple little stores. They might have it.

I like marmalade with peanut butter on toast. Haven't had it for a long time.

Last edited:
Not all marmalade is super bitter. The type of oranges used makes a big difference in this regard. Typically the british version is made with Seville oranges and they are more bitter. The King Kelly variety is less bitter and a little sweeter but more importantly it's very intensely ORANGE. You might like it.... ;)

My favorite topping for toast or an English Muffin is Apple Jelly. The problem is I eat it with a spoon right out of the jar and it never makes it to the toast. And I refuse to buy diet anything. So jellies, jams and marmalades are on my No, No list. Along with sodas, cakes and a lot of other foods. Too much sugar. :angel:

I was getting Orange marmalade from an import shop. Made in Spain with seville oranges and brandy...OMG!!!! It was the best stuff ever. The shop closed, darn it!

Yum, PF!

I now remember the Canadian brand that made such wonderful marmalade and jams in the big tins, Empress! Sadly, no longer available.

I make orange marmalade with a tinned seville orange. It is available on Amazon, product is Hartley's Ma Made Thin Cut Seville Oranges, is a product of Spain. It is very easy to make/can.

I've always loved marmalade, especially on warm toast with melted butter for breakfast. But, I know when I'm sick because the only thing I want to eat is marmalade sandwiches!

Smuckers is what the local grocery offers - a choice between regular and sugarless. If I'm going to buy it at all, I'll choose regular. Sometimes when in a pinch for some kind - ANY kind - of dessert, I put the marmalade on a Ritz cracker. Well, several crackers. Sweet 'n' salty 'n' crunchy. Does the job.

Smuckers is what the local grocery offers - a choice between regular and sugarless. If I'm going to buy it at all, I'll choose regular. Sometimes when in a pinch for some kind - ANY kind - of dessert, I put the marmalade on a Ritz cracker. Well, several crackers. Sweet 'n' salty 'n' crunchy. Does the job.

Smucker's in Florida, that ain't right! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It's also good on a scoop of ice cold cottage or ricotta cheese.

Smucker's in Florida, that ain't right! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It's also good on a scoop of ice cold cottage or ricotta cheese.

Oh, Bea. That's not the only thing that ain't right down here in Paradise.

Ooooo. That cottage cheese idea sounds really good. I think nice, sweet marmalade would go well on that plain yogurt I got -- I bought plain to avoid the sugar in that bad old 'fruit added' yogurt. :LOL::wacko::D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom