Recipe for Tomato Jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen Meeker

Assistant Cook
I am looking for a recipe for my late mother-in-law's tomato jelly. It had ripe red tomatoes and lemon rind in it and no packaged jello. Possibly a Pennsylvania Dutch recipe. My tomato patch is getting ready to deliver and I know I'll have way too many to just eat now..:chef: Thanks, chef Kathleen

Google showed many recipes for it.Most of them called for packaged jello_Or addition spices.Not what you asked for.

Could your Mil have used a package of pectin or unflavored gelatin?
(almost jello package) for her batches?

Munky.

I found a recipe in my Ball Blue Book.Red Tomato Jam,page 34.Should have checked there first (D'oh!)
It has the ingredients you mentioned.But requires Pectin and sugar.

The Ball Complete Book Of Home Preserving.Tomato Preserves page 70. Has a variant to the previous one.It to is very close to what your looking for. It only requires sugar and spices.
I don't think it's allowed on this forum to post the recipe..But at least you know where to look.
Amazon sells both copies,and a newer anniversary addition ball blue book.

Munky.

Thank you for the info Chef. I think I may have that Ball book myself. I figured I'd substitute the pectin for jello in one of the similar recipes I found on Google. Hopefully the late Mother-in-law's 99 year old sister still has the recipe and can remember where to find it.
K

There is a recipe for Tomato Jelly in the Ball Blue Book. For point of reference, recipes using Jello are outdated and considered unsafe. They cannot be canned since Jello uses gelatin which is a meat product and meat products require canning in a Pressure Canner, not a Boiling Water Bath used for normal jams and jellies.

Back
Top Bottom