Roasted Green Chili Salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flpaintmaster

Assistant Cook
Roast the following: Peppers: 3-4 poblanos, 6 jalapenos, 6 serranos, 1 habernero; 12-15 tomatillos, 1 onion, 1 garlic head

Roast all until peppers are charred & blackened. Put all in a covered container & let steam until cool.

Gently rub the skin off the peppers & remove stems & seeds. I do this in the sink under cold running water. Wearing latex gloves & a particle dust mask may be advisable, the process makes me cough a little. Remove the burned onion skin & squish out the roasted garlic.

Put all the above in a food processor & add the juice of a lime and either a handful of cilantro, or flat parsley or both. Salt & black pepper to taste, I use about 1/2 tsp. Run food processer until it is smooth. 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce added to the mix gives a tinge of smokiness. You can also add some reconstituted dry chilis, but you will end up with a red salsa instead of green & the dried chilis will change the flavor quite a bit.

I always use the poblanos, jalapenos & a habernero, the other peppers depend on what is available as long as they are green & have some heat. I have also substituted leeks for the onion.

This makes about 3 quarts. I put it in mason jars or other glass jars I have & put it in the refrigerator, it will last 6-8 weeks. If you want it thinner add water or chicken broth, the salsa thickens up quite a bit after refrigerated.

It goes well with any meats, fish, fried potatoes, eggs, soups & of course green chili.

Tim Abbott

Attachments

• IMG_9734.JPG
    IMG_9734.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
I have some tomatillo salsa in my refrigerator, I made it from those I grew in the garden. I froze it originally and now I've thawed some of it.

Do you only serve it cold or do you serve it hot? Mostly, I've used it as a salsa for chips, cold. I'd like to have more ways to use it.

Hi blissful,

I have always served it cold when used as a dip/salsa. I often put it over fried potatoes, add it to a soup, its good on eggs, I even put it on some mixed fruit once.

Hi AnnieDrews,

It really isn't very hot, I think the roasting & removing the seeds has an influence.

Tim Abbott

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom