Salsa! How to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BabyG

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone
(I hope i posted this is the correct thread)

I'm beginning to discover salsa and i love it! :) I must admit tho, not salsa as in home made, but store bought jarred salsa.
Nonetheless, i was wondering if i could have any serving suggestions?

I usually have it on toast/Lebanese wrap with sour-cream, ham, and basil/rocket. Yes i know, I'm not much of a cook, but i am after all a poor student with a tiny kitchen:rolleyes:

So before i get sick of this wonderful stuff can anyone offer me some new ways to enjoy it?

Thankyou!

As in mexican-style tomato, onion, pepper salsa? Well goodness, BabyG, you can stir it into milk if it turns you on!

Meaning: try it anywhere and everywhere that it appeals to you! The traditional uses of topping a quesadilla or inside a burrito aren't a law. Try it with eggs, shove it in a sandwich (maybe not peanut butter and grape jelly though), put it on pasta ...

One does not get sick of salsa.

You can use it as a topping for grilled chicken or one of my favorites grilled tuna. You can also mix in some black beans with it and even some corn. Mix with some cheese and melt and dip nacho chips in it or corn chips.

I'm sure I'll think of more things to do with it and when I do I will post again!

I have put salsa in a skillet and poached an egg in it before. You can also top a cheese omelet with it.

thanks for the replies!

Oh yes with omelet! what a brilliant idea :)

And lol Ayrton "Well goodness, BabyG, you can stir it into milk if it turns you on" that made me laugh so much! :LOL:

I love Salsa chicken and salsa fish! Just top chicken breasts or fish fillets (cod) with salsa, cheese and crumbled nachos, than bake in the oven until meat is done and cheese is brown and bubbly. Yummy!

Love salsa on an omelette.

But it works as a topping on a hotdog or hamburger.

Or on a grilled cheese sandwich.

Could incorporate it into a simple vinagrette as a salad dressing and it would go very well, I think, with pork.

Look upon it as a tomato based sauce and go from there.

Run, don't walk to your nearest store and buy a packet of flour tortillas. Take one out and fill it with cheese, or what ever takes your fancy. Warm iy up then add salsa on top.
I was served a smoky, hot salsa with my breakfast eggs in Mexico. It's great with chorizos. Use it to make a Mexican-style Gazpacho: 1 tin tomato juice, 1 tbsp salsa, add a little grated onion, bell pepper and celery. Yum.

I too am a salsa Lover as mentioned above

Nachos, In salads ((i make taco salad))
Tacos, Quesidillas, mmmm mexican chicken (CHicken salsa cheese onion peppers etc)

I mix it with rice and Pasta .... I find it makes a nice spicy tomato sauce for pasta!

Mixed with sourcream its lethal soo many options chip dip veg dip etc

I cannot believe you have just discovered salsa! Where you been chile?

You can put it on virtually anythig... tortilla chips of course, nachos, eggs of all kinds, all this is "standard". In stews, pot roasts, anything savory. For fish, add some mango (unless you have some mango salsa already... and also add some fresh jalapeno and lime juice.
Make a salad- rice, lettuce, black beans, salsa, orange vinegarette, chips on the side.
There are no rules- be creative, the worst that can happen is that you don't like it- throw it out and try it another way..

Everyone else has already stated the many ways to use salsa with one exception that I haven't tried yet. Someone's teenagers liked to top cottage cheese with it for a quick snack. I guess it couldn't be that much different from the commercial "garden" flavor cottage cheese they used to sell, which had minced scallion, carrot, & bell pepper in it.

I've never tried this before but know of many people who have and love it......Top a Baked Potato with Sour Cream, Salsa and Cheese.

We have a lady here who uses it as her salad dressing...says it's a lot less calories. I used to think yuck, until I thought about Taco Salads. So crumble a little hamburger on some lettuce, add some cheese, beans, (anything else you want) add the salsa and enjoy!

middie said:
I can't believe nobody suggested it on tacos yet !
It'll even work with chicken tacos !

:LOL: Guess I just took that one for granted.

Guess I need to add

Fajitas
Quesadillas
Nachos and Cheese with the works

Salsa is excellent on many many things, breakfast foods and chicken are at the top of my list. If you decide to buy a cutting board and knife fresh salsa is simple to make as well. Recently I have been making fruit salsa for chicken that I enjoy very much and have eaten it on ice cream also.

The measurements below are not exact and you can pretty much use any fresh fruits in it.

Fruit Salsa:

1 nectarine
1 plum
1/4 plus cup of blue berries
cantaloupe maybe a 1/2 cup
4 strawberries
1 or more tablespoons orange marmalade
1/2 tablespoon Tabasco or favorite hot sauce

Cut up the fruit, small dice. Place the hot sauce and marmalade in a small bowl and slightly heat to help melt the marmalade and mix together.

Pour hot sauced marmalade over fruit and gently toss, serve over chicken.

Enjoy!

Pretty much goes great with almost any protein I can think of. Mahi, Snapper, Halibut, Mussels, clams, fried calamari, Pork,chicken, Skirt steak, turkey, etc...Very versatile topper.

You should try experimenting by making your own,the possibilities are endless.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom