Sriracha Lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS4322 said:
I'm bumping this thread because I wanted to share this link. I stumbled across the link checking the link Cerise posted to the Faux Pho soup that inspired what she's making tonight:

25 Ways to Use Sriracha: bonappetit.com

I've got everything for the Chard refrigerator pickles and can't wait to try them.

I'm loving these, CWS, what great ideas! Thanks!

You all should try and get your hands on some real Sriracha. There are only two exported brands that actually come from Si Racha, Thailand; Shark Brand and Sriraja Panich. The only places that sell them around here are Asian markets.

The Huy Fong is, in my opinion, pretty bad stuff. I used to be a hardcore Huy Fong Sriracha user--in fact it may have fit the clinical definition of "abuse." But then I came to try Shark Brand and that all changed. It's like going from Welch's Sparkling Grape to Dom Pérignon. Huy Fong's Americanized and not really the way Sriracha should be--in my opinion. Between the ketchup-like consistency (from the xanthan gum) and the preservatives (potassium sorbate and sodium bisulfate) it really doesn't appeal to me much anymore. All that said, the Huy Fong tends to work better as an ingredient in a dish, whereas the more traditional Sriracha is meant to be used as a table sauce--kind of like how we use Ketchup.

I haven't been able to find any Sriraja Panich but I hear it's great.

Last edited:
You all should try and get your hands on some real Sriracha. There are only two exported brands that actually come from Si Racha, Thailand; Shark Brand and Sriraja Panich. The only places that sell them around here are Asian markets.

The Huy Fong is, in my opinion, pretty bad stuff. I used to be a hardcore Huy Fong Sriracha user--in fact it may have fit the clinical definition of "abuse." But then I came to try Shark Brand and that all changed. Huy Fong's Americanized and not really the way Sriracha should be--in my opinion. Between the ketchup-like consistency (from the xanthan gum) and the preservatives (potassium sorbate and sodium bisulfate) it really doesn't appeal to me much anymore.

I haven't been able to find any Sriraja Panich but I hear it's great.
That's why I have never tried it. :(

Some of you should bear in mind that we all don't live somewhere where we can buy any and everything! We do the best with what we can get!

Some of you should bear in mind that we all don't live somewhere where we can buy any and everything! We do the best with what we can get!
The only one I could find was Red Rooster...if I venture into Ottawa's Chinatown, I might be able to find another brand. I think I bought this in States, not locally.

Alas, that's where the internet comes in!
I have to travel 30 minutes to this tiny Vietnamese market that seems like it was built in a shantytown to find the Shark Brand I like. I usually stock up and buy two, but then again, I use that stuff and spicy banana ketchup more often than regular ketchup so it's worth it for me. :chef:
It's somewhat difficult to find other brands due to the pervasiveness of the Huy Fong. HF likes to sign exclusivity contracts with bigger markets that keeps competing brands out, and since it's based in the USA they tend to have a bigger supply line and throw around more weight. And then because it's so pervasive, it's the most popular, so stores don't tend to want to "waste" shelf space on a less popular item. It's one of those self-fulfilling type things.

Last edited:

Ditto Claire! South Africa doesn't have the best selection of imported goods either lol! I make my own hot sauces or buy tabasco since it's the only bought sauce I like.

Back
Top Bottom