Steak sauce - do you use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use it only as a dipping sauce with a steak.

A1 is my go to.

Never found a taste for Heinz 57.

Lea & Perrins makes a steak sauce similar to A1.

But if the steak is good just a bit of S&P is all it needs. :yum:

AB. A1 goes good with a baked tater too. ;)

We had steak sauce in the house "in case". Not sure what "case" would have caused us to need them, though. Finally used them in place of the ketchup that is called for in meatloaf recipes. Now THAT was good. But on steak? Only if it's well-done...and it had danged better NOT be cooked more than a medium rare. :glare:

I think steak sauce in general is too highly flavored and hides the juicy flavor of a good steak. I prefer steaks with just S&P.

I like Eric's idea of mixing with horseradish and using as a dipping sauce.

Where I have used A-1 sauce--

Mix in with or top meatloaf.

Brush on grilled sliced onions or burgers after turning.

Mix with catsup with French fries or home fries. Mix with BBQ sauce to change up the flavors.

Use some in sloppy joes.

Leftover steak salad with blue cheese dressing and drizzle a little on top.

Last edited:
Growing up in Iowa we always had H57 or A1 with steaks and what we did. While driving the Alcan in 77 I tried H.P. Sauce and it became a favorite but found what they sell in the U.S. is not the same as the product in Canada. I'm not a steak snob and love most sauces with steak to include some I make myself.

My steaks go nekkid, except for some salt and a massive amount of cracked pepper.

I too grew up with A1 and Heinz 57. Haven't had either for an eon or two.

I'm gonna be the odd man out here. I'm not a big steak eater - I usually make it for my wife or friends, and then eat it by default. However. I love Peter Luger steak sauce. The background sweetness with the hit of horseradish transforms a plain steak from meh to tasty.

A hamburger with Peter Luger sauce, Swiss cheese and sauteed mushrooms and onions is wonderful.

Peter Lugar sauce was meant for their tomato salad not the steak but people kept using it as steak sauce.

I love the stuff but it's a bit too much like shrimp cocktail sauce for steak, unless I mix it wit A1

I just noticed I have a bottle of A-1 in the cabinet. No clue how old it is or what I bought it for so I trashed it.

When I put a roast in the crockpot, I do. Just a couple of tablespoons of steak sauce in the beef broth adds a little more flavor to put on the mashed potatoes as a gravy.

Salt and pepper is good enough for me. However, I do like a bit of Bearnaise on steak. Stirling likes his steaks well done and with a sauce, but not bottled steak sauce. I sometimes make a simple pan sauce: while the steak is resting sauté a little bit of chopped shallot on the same pan. Deglaze with some wine and reduce a bit. Add some butter or heavy cream. Salt and pepper to taste.

I'd be willing to try a bleu cheese sauce. It sounds like a bit would be really good on steak.

Salt and pepper is good enough for me. However, I do like a bit of Bearnaise on steak. Stirling likes his steaks well done and with a sauce, but not bottled steak sauce. I sometimes make a simple pan sauce: while the steak is resting sauté a little bit of chopped shallot on the same pan. Deglaze with some wine and reduce a bit. Add some butter or heavy cream. Salt and pepper to taste.

I'd be willing to try a bleu cheese sauce. It sounds like a bit would be really good on steak.

That reminds me - I would definitely go for a compound butter - a bleu cheese blend to top a sizzling steak...or a blend of butter with garlic and herbs. They freeze well in little pats, too. :) Yum. Everything's better with butter. :yum:

Last edited:
That reminds me - I would definitely go for a compound butter - a bleu cheese blend to top a sizzling steak...or a blend of butter with garlic and herbs. They freeze well in little pats, too. :) Yum. Everything's better with butter. :yum:
Thank you for reminding me about compound butters. Hmm, maybe Stirling would be happy with that and save me the effort of making a sauce.

I have a steak cook book from the 60's and should post the sauce recipes but will take awhile. The vinegar in A1 should preserve it forever. Worcestershire ages in the bottle and the older it gets the better it gets. I love the stuff.

Now I'll have to grill a steak tomorrow night. ;)

Back
Top Bottom