Vanilla Bean Paste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GA Home Cook

Sous Chef
Has anyone used Vanilla Bean Paste? Any reason to use this above Vanilla Extract?

I have never used Vanilla Bean Pods, as they seem expensive. But I wondered if this would boost up Vanilla Ice Cream?

I've never used it but it's interchangeable with extract. I believe it has the v. bean seeds in it. That may be desirable in ice cream.

Sorry, I've never used vanilla paste

Have you ever made your own vanilla extract? It's well worth it, imo. I bought a vanilla infusion kit for about $8. It included a pretty bottle and three vanilla pods. I added inexpensive vodka and have been using it for two and a half years.

Attachments

• 1456412324643.jpg
    1456412324643.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 258
Has anyone used Vanilla Bean Paste? Any reason to use this above Vanilla Extract?

I have never used Vanilla Bean Pods, as they seem expensive. But I wondered if this would boost up Vanilla Ice Cream?

Read the label. MOST (notice I didn't say all), vanilla bean paste is primarily glycerin and sugar/corn syrup with some vanilla & beans added. The sugar actually enhances the flavor of the vanilla, (kind of like salt enhances flavors of savory dishes), so you think it's more 'vanilla-y'. You would be better off using regular extract or whole beans.

Like GG, I make my own extract. I buy beans in bulk so they're not very expensive. I buy from Vanilla Products, USA, but there are other places. Do a Google search.

I found good vanilla beans on ebay (instead of Amazon), 15 small beans in 2 quarts of vodka, cut them up (that is important). I have enough to overuse vanilla for least 3 years. (I tried it with whole beans first--but the flavor and color took a long time to do anything to give the taste of vanilla. Once I cut them up, voila, good taste.)

Yes, I split them down the middle, scraped the seeds out, cut the pods into thirds and put everything in the bottle with the vodka. It was ready in about three months.

I got a massive bag of vanilla beans for very cheap a couple years ago, thanks to the recommendation of one of our members. I split a couple and stuck them in a small bottle with vodka. Very nice!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom