White vinegar essence??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I was watching a video on youtube on making hot and sour soup.
It called for 2 tsp chinkiang vinegar, and 1 tsp of white vinegar essence.

It looked like just white vinegar to me, i never heard it referred to as white vinegar essence.

Is it the same ? or is it something totally different ?

Larry

Admittedly, I've never heard of white vinegar essence.

Last edited:
White vinegar essenz (essig essenz in German) is 28% and is the strength used to pickle herring. Although I make vinegar, that is all I know about white vinegar essence.

Hmm, you're talking about liquid vinegar right?

I was going to say that one of my favorites is Hawaiian Seasoning Salt, and it contains not only Hawaiian sea salt but also powders of vinegar, garlic and Chili Peppers. The powdered vinegar gives it a wonderful kick.

I don't know anything about vinegar essence. However, when I make cole slaw dressing (EVOO, vinegar, honey, and herbs), I use rice wine vinegar, as it's a lot milder than regular white vinegar. I would think that this would be good with hot and sour soup. Reminds me, I haven't made that in a lot of years, and need to do it again.

So, do you just boil the heck out of regular vinegar to get it?

I have a lot of different vinegars but I've never heard of it or recall seeing it even in specialty stores.

My first thought was that it might be concentrated vinegar ... But that seems like a lot of work.

I hate recipes that so casually call for unheard of ingredients.

White distilled vinegar sold in regular stores is diluted to 5% acetic acid. When it's made, the concentration is much higher. It's not commonly sold at the higher concentrations here.

Last edited:
Isn't that how you make regular vinegar ?

Regular vinegar starts as a fermented juice or liquid of some kind - red wine, apple cider, sake, beer, etc. Then acetic acid bacteria (acetobacter) is introduced, which converts the alcohol to acetic acid.

Distilled white vinegar is made somewhat different. What they do is dilute distilled alcohol with water and then add the bacteria culture. Unlike other vinegars, this type doesn't really begin its life as fruit.

Back
Top Bottom