Worchestershire Sauce. Refrigerate or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaheen

Senior Cook
This is my first bottle of Worchestershire Sauce and I wanted to know if need to refrigerate it after opening? Thanks :)

No need to refrigerate. You can always check the bottle. It will indicate "Refrigerate After Opening." if necessary.

I checked my bottle of Worc. sauce when answering this question and was surprised to find an expiration date! In fact, my bottle has expired.

Andy M. said:
I checked my bottle of Worc. sauce when answering this question and was surprised to find an expiration date! In fact, my bottle has expired.

OMG, Andy's gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't die on us, brother - we need your advice.

It does not need to be kept in the fridge, but for some reason that is where I keep it anyway.

I have never refrierated my soy sauce and I am still alive to tell the tale,lol...
its just my thing I hate cold soy sauce...

Hmmmmm..... I always keep mine in there because my mom always did. I did start putting the soy sauce in there because I finally noticed it said to do so on the bottle. I put my sesame seed oil in there too and that was a mistake as it solidified and looked disgusting so I threw it out.

Its good to know I don't need to refrig. Asian Sauces.....that'll free up space in the fridge for me. Thanks for the tips.

Sesame oil and olive oil are similar in that they congeal in the fridge. You could have saved it by just putting it on the counter to come to room temp. There is SO SO much salt in the Asian sauces that they are preserved. No need to refrigerate--but it also doesn't hurt them.

If I refrigerated every bottle of 'sauce' that I have, I'd need a 2nd fridge in the kitchen, lol!

One word about soy sauce, tho - if you buy it in those metal cans (Kikkoman for one uses metal cans), transfer it into a plastic or glass jar; the metal will react to the shoyu, and give it a rather bitter taste.

Gretchen said:
None of the Asian sauces need to be refrigerated.

This is not true for all Asian sauces. On my bottle of oyster sauce it says refrigerate after opening.

Infact, I just found this out:
Must Be Refrigerated after Opening
Black Bean Sauce
Chile Paste, Chile Sauce
Fish Sauce (Southeast Asian)
Hoisin Sauce
Oyster Sauce
Plum Sauce
Sweet and Sour Sauce

Can Be Stored in the Cupboard
Hot Chili Oil
Rice Vinegar
Rice Wine
Dry Sherry (a common substitute for rice wine)
Sesame Oil (also called sesame seed oil)
Soy Sauce, Light
Soy Sauce, Dark

Always keep the container tightly sealed (this is especially important for sauce that needs to be refrigerated)
Store non-refrigerated sauce away from direct heat and light
There is nothing wrong with storing a sauce like soy sauce in the refrigerator instead of the cupboard In fact, the sauce may keep its flavor longer.

Though that site says you have to keep fish sauce in the fridge, the manufacturers say you don't because of the extremely high salt content.

But I do out of habit.

I have never refrigerated ANY of those and just read the other day that fish sauce specifically doesn't require it. All these sauces have so much salt or spices or chiles or sugar in them that they will not spoil. All these are basically a type of preservative. Think long ago before adequate refrigeration or think about the countries of origin of vry spicy food.

Shaheen's post I wholeheartedly agree with, some of the chinese sauces should not be left out. From experience I have found that he bean pastes and the oyster sauce will definitely go bad. The bean paste seems to develope a mold or something. I would say to put any bean paste in the fridge and it will last longer...

On the fish paste I think it depends. I had an oyster sauce go bad, one of the better ones too. So put that in the fridge. I would put all fish sauce in the fridge now, but not so sure.

On the chile sauces this is interesting. I have had some go bad, the ones that are not very hot. Example that Siracha sauce that comes in the orange colored plastic w/ green lid. That has gone bad on me. But the real hot chile sauces, I leave out. If you refrigerate them they will congeal that oil and lose some heat. PUt the mild chile sauces in the fridge in my opinion.

My soy sauces (light, dark, & mushroom) & both black & white Worsteshire sauces are in the pantry.

The Asian Fish sauce stays in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom