Air Fryer or Convection Toaster Oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paqman

Assistant Cook
My wife would like to get an Air Fryer. Mostly for the occasional fries, tatertots, pizza rolls, etc. However, I felt like we would get really limited usage out of it, at the cost of some counter space, so I started looking into toaster ovens with "air fryer" capability. Basically just convection toaster ovens. She was on board with it, but started reading that because of the way they function, the location of the coils, and the sheer size of them, that the end result for those food items (fries, tatertots, pizza rolls) will not be as good and crispy as what a dedicated air fryer will provide.

Can anyone share their experiences using a convection toaster oven as an air fryer? I'm looking at this Ninja, among others. But just sharing this one as an example., but as it is not very tall, I am looking at others as well.

Can you get the same results with convection toaster ovens like this as you can with a dedicated air fryer?

I have had two "convection toaster ovens", and both of them were not as effective as this Panasonic Toaster Oven for the things you mention. It crisps leftover pizza, leftover/frozen fries, corn dogs, onion rings, and just about anything that needs to be fried or crisply cooked... all in record time. Plus, it makes amazing, even toast in two minutes.

I have had two "convection toaster ovens", and both of them were not as effective as this Panasonic Toaster Oven for the things you mention. It crisps leftover pizza, leftover/frozen fries, corn dogs, onion rings, and just about anything that needs to be fried or crisply cooked... all in record time. Plus, it makes amazing, even toast in two minutes.

Huh, while that is interesting, at this point she really wants the air fryer functionality, as simply using an oven for frozen things like tater tots or freezer fries doesn't make very crispy stuff. We do have success with previously fried foods in the oven. Like some Arby's fries that went in the fridge over night, crisped up just great in a traditional oven. But frozen stuff is not very good when cooked in the oven. So she definitely at least wants an air fryer. But I'm trying to talk her into a more versatile toaster oven. But if we do, it's going to have to at least have air fryer capabilities.

While not convection, the Panasonic oven gets way hotter, way faster than conventional heating elements with convection due to its multiple quartz elements. Trust me, it will make frozen food super crispy in half the time of an air fryer.

While not convection, the Panasonic oven gets way hotter, way faster than conventional heating elements with convection due to its multiple quartz elements. Trust me, it will make frozen food super crispy in half the time of an air fryer.

Good to know, I'll keep that one on the list.

I have the Emeril Lagasbag Power Air Fryer 360 Fryer Oven and I find that is everything I could want in a countertop oven. It has 12 different functions, from air fryer to dehydrator. It even has a rotisserie, which I have used on a pork loin, but not on a chicken because I found out I could buy an already rotesseried chicken at the market for less than I could buy a raw chicken. Oh, and it doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer time.

I have the Instant Pot brand air fryer. In addition, it broils, roasts, bakes, toasts. Etc. It has a rotisserie accessory and a rotating fryer basket accessory. I did wings in it this week and they were fabulous.

Basically all air fryers are just convection ovens, but this one is actually functional as one.

Another way to go is to find an Air Fryer for cheap. i know a lot of people
who would buy one in a yard sale where they could talk with the original owner. Or like I did find one on sale at a Family Dollar. (Bella brand)
I'm satisfied with it. But I have noticed the convergence between toaster ovens, air fryers, and instant pots in this past year.

I keep mine out on my deck in a plastic moisture proof box by the Grills & Smoker. So when I want to use it there is space. I often use my Fry Daddy in conjunction with it when I'm wanting foods deep fried in oil. This usually takes place when I'm wanting a sea food dinner.

I purchased the Instant Vortex Pro 9in1, 5 months ago. It replaced a standard toaster oven I liked.

Between my Vortex and Instant Pot, I seldom use my stove oven any more. I do enjoy air frying foods that I used to love pan fried, which I no longer do because of excess oil.

I have to say tho, that at my age now, my love for detailed food prep and cooking has been replaced with a need for simplicity and speed.

Ross

We have the Power XL air fryer oven Elite. It is one you see in the infomercial with the swing-open door and the racks. We love it!!!

It came with a rotisserie and skewers so I've done kebabs, roasts, a small chicken, and a game hen with success. I use it quite a bit, specially in the summer if I don't want to heat up the kitchen with the oven. It is great for things like individual meatloaf or mini casseroles that cook up FAST.

Plus it is the best way to reheat leftover pizza!!!!

I'm usually not a fan of infomercial products but this one definitely lives up to its promises.

Huh, while that is interesting, at this point she really wants the air fryer functionality, as simply using an oven for frozen things like tater tots or freezer fries doesn't make very crispy stuff. We do have success with previously fried foods in the oven. Like some Arby's fries that went in the fridge over night, crisped up just great in a traditional oven. But frozen stuff is not very good when cooked in the oven. So she definitely at least wants an air fryer. But I'm trying to talk her into a more versatile toaster oven. But if we do, it's going to have to at least have air fryer capabilities.

You absolutely dont need an air fryer to make excellent tater tots. Believe me, I know ... I have an air fryer and dont bother suing it for tots (which I eat with alarming regularity)

An air fryer is just a little convection oven with a powerful fan.

You are much better off with a convection oven thats also a toaster, although you can make toast in an air fryer.

I have the Emeril Lagasbag Power Air Fryer 360 Fryer Oven and I find that is everything I could want in a countertop oven. It has 12 different functions, from air fryer to dehydrator. It even has a rotisserie, which I have used on a pork loin, but not on a chicken because I found out I could buy an already rotesseried chicken at the market for less than I could buy a raw chicken. Oh, and it doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer time.
The Emeril was my 2nd AF and I must have had a dud. I had so many failures, I gave up. I had the GE prior. Looked like an egg, but I dropped a basket and destroyed it in the blink of an eye. I went onto the GE 3 in 1 and love(d) that (no preheating needed), but useless if I want to do a chicken or large roast (nothing with height). So, I bought a full-sized Maytag and no useful instructions ?‍? (and why I joined Discuss Cooking today). Live and learn, which includes, YMMV and I am glad the Emeril unit is working good for you.

我用过 Instant 的台面对流烤箱,已经用了 3 年了。我现在要买一个新烤箱来更换它,因为它的钥匙有问题。我选择了HYSapientia,我已经开始尝试了。最让我惊讶的是它的十个功能

I have used an Instant countertop convection oven for 3 years. I am going to buy a new oven to replace it now because it has a problem with the keys. I chose HYSapientia and I have already started to try it. What amazes me the most is its ten functions

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom