Am I insane - microwave...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I normally only use my microwave to heat things that have been previously cooked ... I would use the common vernacular "nuke" term but that has caused a lot of people undue concern because microwaves have nothing to do with nuclear radiation. If you walk ouside - you are hit by microwaves (just radio waves within a certain frequency range).

Well, I do use the microwave to heat up a hot-dog ... first thing I ever had cooked in one back circa 1953 - a great big old Radar Range (about 6-ft tall) in the Hall of Tommow exhibit at the TX State Fair. And, popcorn ...

Ironically - Nutritionists are beginning to recognize that the "healthiest" way to cook vegetables is ... in a microwave.

If you don't want to use one - don't! Doesn't make you right or wrong for not using one - doesn't make the rest of use right or wrong for using them. It's just a matter of choice.

Last edited:
I use mine for reheating certain things (for things that need to be dry or crispy, I use the toaster oven), for heating liquids, for steaming veggies for risotto, and for making rice. As Michael said, people have a lot of misconceptions about how microwave ovens work. This is from the Good Eats Fan Page, which includes transcripts of the shows (this one's about cooking crab):

There's nothing wrong with employing a microwave in the pursuit of serious culinary goals as long as you don't ask it to do things it can't do. Now let's review how this thing actually works. When you activate your microwave oven, a device called a magnetron tube generates waves of electromagnetic energy. Now these kind of waves are produced anytime electricity moves through a circuit or even a simple wire, but what makes a magnetron tube special is that it creates oscillating waves, which then can be directed at a target. Now in a microwave oven these waves are fed down a long tube and they bounce off a metal fan and are scattered into the cooking chamber. Once in the chamber if they encounter food or anything besides metal for that matter, they move into that substance and if there are any asymmetrical molecules there the microwaves make them vibrate and that creates heat.

The most common asymmetrical molecule in crab legs, or anything for that matter, is water. Now when these little molecules of water start to do the tango they create heat very, very quickly. The problem is, is that microwaves really can't produce heat in excess of the boiling point so they can't brown foods the way the oven or grill or broiler can. But they are really good at making steam.

To answer your question, though, luvs - no, you're not :) It's a choice you're certainly free to make.

I mainly use mine for reheating or defrosting(only if I've forgotten to take the food out of the freezer in time). Now and again if I'm in a hurry I'll mix a egg,milk and salsa and pop it in the microwave for a minute to make a quick omelet.

Frankly, I'd be lost without mine.

While I can't remember ever "cooking" in it, it's invaluable to me for quickly defrosting things, as well as for reheating leftovers.

My husband had a defibrillator implanted also and was told to stay at least 3 feet from a microwave oven and 8 inches from a cell phone, and to use it on the opposite side his defib was on. He used an earpiece for the phone. When he wanted something microzapped, I did it. So if your hubby wants instant popcorn, get a cheap microwave from Target, I paid 59.00 for mine since I only reheat in it, and let him zap popcorn to his heart's content.

My family was always afraid of microwaves. I can't believe my brother's wife has to warm everything up on the stove because they are afraid the microwave is killing all of the good stuff in the food. That would drive me up the wall!

So, any y'all that don't use theirs want to send it to me? I have a teen and I would be lost, actually was when my took a crap, without one. I use mine for soup, popcorn, water, reheating food, everything and it is used almost everyday and more than once on weekends. So if you have an unused nice one, my address is............

My family was always afraid of microwaves. I can't believe my brother's wife has to warm everything up on the stove because they are afraid the microwave is killing all of the good stuff in the food. That would drive me up the wall!

maybe you could install the microwave on a really high shelf? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom