Bains Marie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arabesque

Assistant Cook
Howdy,

I'm Jess. Just registered here to hopefully get some good recipe ideas / tips etc :) but my first question is about 'Bains Marie'.

Before last week I was unfamiliar with the term. My housemate mentioned it when I was melting cheese in a glass bowl over a saucepan of boiling water, asking whether that was what I was going for. I then mixed the melted cheese with minced garlic paste and it made a great sauce for chips!

My question is this. Is it worth investing in an appliance? I found these Bains Marie after a Google search. They look fairly industrial but the 'Parry Bains Marie' looks like it could fit into a domestic kitchen. Does anyone have experience with them?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome.

A Bain Marie (it's singular) is just a water bath and is very easily accomplished via a real double boiler or via the method you used with a bowl sitting on a saucepan, or using a pan of water in the oven.

No home cook needs any of the appliances shown in your link.

You can also use a microwave (carefully) to melt things like chocolate that ordinarily might require a double boiler.

Ah thanks, wasn't sure about the singular/plural differentiation in French (?).

I thought having the appliance may be equivalent to having a fat fryer appliance when you can just as easily use a frying pan and oil, but I trust your advice :) Haven't got great experience with microwave melting; I melted some mozzarella yesterday and it ended up as a stringy mess. Although I imagine that was just because it's mozzarella.

Back
Top Bottom