Best Kitchen Scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the OXO fir the fat that it takes AAA batteries rather than button batteries. They last longer and cost less.

I like the OXO fir the fat that it takes AAA batteries rather than button batteries. They last longer and cost less.

Batteries were my second thought before I ordered the Oxo.
I figured it would be like all the other kitchen counter appliances. 120 volt.

But thinking about it more, it seems to be convenient.
However, now I will have to be careful if not using it for some time as batteries can fail and leak.
Of course that takes a long time, but every battery manufactured can fail if left in a device that's not use for a very long time.

This happens on occasion with electronics that sit in my desk drawer for years and when I go to use it, I find the batteries in bad condition. Then cleaning that device is a problem.
I don't think that will be an issue with a kitchen scale?
I will check them on occasion though.
To bad it cannot use two power sources. 120 volts and whatever 3 AAA batteries make.

Honestly, I don't want something else that I have to plug in. My scale lives on top of the our countertop microwave, which is right next to my dry goods canisters, and that's where I use it 90% of the time. All I have to do is set it on the counter and hit the"On" button. In nearly 10 years I've only had to change the batteries once.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions. Based on your replies, I think I’ll go with the Oxo. Now, can someone suggest a good math tutor so I can convert from volume measurements to weight/ratio measurements? I failed math in the second grade, ? “Story problems” were my undoing, and cursed me from understanding math forever.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Based on your replies, I think I’ll go with the Oxo. Now, can someone suggest a good math tutor so I can convert from volume measurements to weight/ratio measurements? I failed math in the second grade, ? “Story problems” were my undoing, and cursed me from understanding math forever.
Math tutor doesn't help. Different ingredients will have different ratios. Just take your recipes and measure by volume onto the scale and write the amount in ounces or grams on the recipe. I'm working my way through my recipes and converting as I use them.

Math tutor doesn't help. Different ingredients will have different ratios. Just take your recipes and measure by volume onto the scale and write the amount in ounces or grams on the recipe. I'm working my way through my recipes and converting as I use them.
You’re a lot more ambitious than I am, lol!

I use the scale for recipes containing flour and water, which for me would be bread dough, pizza dough and pasta. I have a Philips pasta machine, and the flour / water ratio is crucial. The scale makes it a breeze to scale the recipe up or down.

The density of flour can vary quite a bit, which is one of the reasons to use a scale. A lot of recipes are published in both volumetric and weight measurements, so once you establish the conversion factor, it's a simple calculation to use weight rather than volume for recipes using volume only.

Here are a couple of resources that you might find helpful:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/ingredient-weight-chart.html

Water Measure cup US to g converter for culinary baking and diet.

Traditional Oven has conversion measures for a number of ingredients and units of measure.

By the way, I'm in the "batteries are better than a cord" club.

I use the scale for recipes containing flour and water, which for me would be bread dough, pizza dough and pasta. I have a Philips pasta machine, and the flour / water ratio is crucial. The scale makes it a breeze to scale the recipe up or down.

The density of flour can vary quite a bit, which is one of the reasons to use a scale. A lot of recipes are published in both volumetric and weight measurements, so once you establish the conversion factor, it's a simple calculation to use weight rather than volume for recipes using volume only.

Here are a couple of resources that you might find helpful:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/ingredient-weight-chart.html

Water Measure cup US to g converter for culinary baking and diet.

Traditional Oven has conversion measures for a number of ingredients and units of measure.

By the way, I'm in the "batteries are better than a cord" club.
Thanks for those valuable resources! “There are three kinds of people in the world; those who understand math, and those who don’t ��”

BTW, I’m gonna switch over to metric. It’s soooooooo much easier, once you get used to it!

I've been using a digital scale for nearly 20 years and would be lost without it. I use it for most all of my cooking tasks. There are days when it gets used 3 or 4 times.

Once you get in the swing of things using your scale, you'll wonder what you did without it.

Back
Top Bottom