Buying appliances online, pros/cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhml87

Assistant Cook
My microwave oven fell from the table and broke. The technician said the board plate of oven needs to be changed and it is almost going take the same price as the microwave oven itself. There is clearance sale going on in Best brand appliances and I have started considering buying a new oven ( Best Microwave Appliance Vaughan, Toronto | Best Brand Appliance ) . Which among this oven are the best? Are online products good in quality?

The brand name appliances sold online should be the same as the ones sold in stores. Choose one or two that meet your needs and check the internet for product reviews.

Here's a trusted website that provides reviews for microwaves and other products. microwaves search results - CNET

With the exception of a dishwasher, I purchased all of my appliances (and plumbing fixtures, for that matter) from online retailers. What I would suggest is first looking at store models, though, if for no other reason than to gauge aesthetics and take measurements to insure it will fit in the desired location.

Shopping in general has sure changed from the old days! We recently completed a brand new kitchen and every single thing we bought was online. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Welcome to DC. This forum has so much information to share with you. So I hope you stick around. We love having new members. :angel:

I buy so much online and they are the same products sold in stores. My big TV from Amazon, since I had prime it was delivered, unboxed and setup, effortless.

I even bought my mattress online. Many companies now offer 100 day trials where they will send someone to pick it up if you don't like it.

What I guess I'm saying, is that ordering online from reputable places is a great way to go!

I buy so much online and they are the same products sold in stores. My big TV from Amazon, since I had prime it was delivered, unboxed and setup, effortless.

I even bought my mattress online. Many companies now offer 100 day trials where they will send someone to pick it up if you don't like it.

What I guess I'm saying, is that ordering online from reputable places is a great way to go!

And remember, if you use your credit card, you also have the backup of their service. :angel:

I too got my mattress online. Also my bread machine and toaster oven. Just go with a reputable brand.

A mattress...wow. Did it arrive in a huge cardboard box? Anyone ordered a mop or broom online? Does it get shipped in a large cardboard box (just because of the handle)?

Last edited:
We got our mattresses on-line too. Did a bunch of research at different sites and looked at all the reviews. They are the memory/gelfoam mattress type. They come in a box the width of your mattress all rolled up, wrapped in very heavy vinyl and POOF when you cut open the vinyl. We got a split adjustable bed frame so got 2 extra-long twins to make a king-size bed. I think the boxes were 18" ish square with length being the width of the twin. Mattresses are 13-14" deep after they poof.

A mattress...wow. Did it arrive in a huge cardboard box? Anyone ordered a mop or broom online? Does it get shipped in a large cardboard box (just because of the handle)?

We got our mattresses on-line too. Did a bunch of research at different sites and looked at all the reviews. They are the memory/gelfoam mattress type. They come in a box the width of your mattress all rolled up, wrapped in very heavy vinyl and POOF when you cut open the vinyl. We got a split adjustable bed frame so got 2 extra-long twins to make a king-size bed. I think the boxes were 18" ish square with length being the width of the twin. Mattresses are 13-14" deep after they poof.

We just got our mattress delivered yesterday and it is the one rolled up and vacuumed packed. Like said above. ^^^^^^^^
When I saw the box it came in I was thinking it was a piece of junk. I helped my wife unroll it onto the box spring and as soon as I cut the plastic, it started to grow. Its quite firm and now as thick as the pillow top we originally had on there. Free shipping too! Amazon.

I was a skeptic of online sales until a few years ago when shopping for a sofa.
I found exactly what I wanted at Ashley Furniture. I wrote down the model number and manufacturer. Went home and looked it up. Found the exact same sofa for $400 less than the store with free shipping yet once again. Only downside was the 3 week lead for delivery. It was worth it for the free delivery.
I do understand a brick and mortar store has taxes and costs associated with operating from a physical store, but I'm just to damn cheap/frugal.
I feel for them as the internet takes over.

Interesting to see people buying appliances online. I wouldn't trust the handling/shipping. I know how rough bulky things are handled. The item may arrive working but something may have loosened up which means in the future the item will have problems.

We buy all of our appliances from a local family owned appliance store that's been around since the 1950's. Excellent service and prices are about the same as online. They will even match online prices in a lot of cases if you ask.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to buy small appliances online. That's how I bought my KA mixer and food processor. I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable buying a large appliance online. I also can't imagine buying a mattress online. I need to test the fit for that just as much as I do a pair of shoes - maybe more so, because it's easy to send shoes back, a mattress not so much.

I actually do have some shoes bought online, but only after already owning exactly the same thing (Merrill Moab hiking shoes) and knowing what size was right.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to buy small appliances online. That's how I bought my KA mixer and food processor. I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable buying a large appliance online. I also can't imagine buying a mattress online. I need to test the fit for that just as much as I do a pair of shoes - maybe more so, because it's easy to send shoes back, a mattress not so much.

I actually do have some shoes bought online, but only after already owning exactly the same thing (Merrill Moab hiking shoes) and knowing what size was right.

Yeah shoe sizes are all over the map. In some brands, I wear a 9, others a 9.5, some a 10. There are a couple of shoe stores in the mall that I like. I will go there to buy shoes, maybe browse the tool section at Sears, get a pretzel and a Starbuck's. :)

Interesting to see people buying appliances online. I wouldn't trust the handling/shipping. I know how rough bulky things are handled. The item may arrive working but something may have loosened up which means in the future the item will have problems.

We buy all of our appliances from a local family owned appliance store that's been around since the 1950's. Excellent service and prices are about the same as online. They will even match online prices in a lot of cases if you ask.

If your local store will meet or beat the internet price, then it would be silly to buy on the internet.
I have yet to see a brick and mortar store be able to compete with internet stores. I'm certain some may be able to, but I have not personally seen it.
I wish our local guy could compete, but he can't.
For me to buy locally, it would have to be out of civil loyalty. Not price.
I would prefer to buy locally. But they never deliver for free. Ever.
Some places get their mark up on delivery charges.
I paid $9 delivery fee once online for a $3 part.

I ordered matching Samsung Washer & Dryer from Homedepot.com - free delivery, set up and haul-away. We did have to pay the local and state sales tax, but all-in-all a good price.
Have had no trouble with either from the start, knock wood!

Now on the end of that spectrum:
My girlfriend ordered 4 piece suite of matching GE kitchen appliances in Slate.
Nothing but trouble!
When we pulled the serial numbers from each and looked the customer reviews up on line, very poor, not the same as say a comp at a brick and mortar... but then I've been finding out that SOME brands make similar products but inexpensively (cheapo and it shows).
BUT, she's okay with what she got, she doesn't USE her kitchen much,
"... but doesn't it look pretty?"
:huh::ermm::LOL:

"Buyer Beware"

I ordered matching Samsung Washer & Dryer from Homedepot.com - free delivery, set up and haul-away. We did have to pay the local and state sales tax, but all-in-all a good price.
Have had no trouble with either from the start, knock wood!

I don't consider this completely "online" like something from Amazon, as it is usually delivered and the setup is handled by your local Home Depot store. When we built our house in the Bahamas, we bought all of our appliances through Home Depot, because we could order them here in Colorado, have them shipped to the Home Depot store in Ft. Lauderdale, and they then delivered them to the shipping company that then put them on a freighter to our island.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom