Can I use my pressure cooker as a slow cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlottesville

Assistant Cook
Hi!
I have a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker. I have a great recipe that requires a slow cooker. Do you think I could put my pressure cooker on its low setting and just not lock the top and cook it all day just like a slow cooker or do you think I need to go out and buy a slow cooker?
Thanks!

If you don't lock the lid aren't you just using your pressure cooker as a big pot? I have one I use for canning but it's not electric so maybe I'm not understanding what this thing is. :)

You can use any pot to slow cook a dish. Just prepare it and put in the oven at 300F and cook until it's done. You can also simmer it on the stovetop until done.

They said it was electric. Couldn't you just turn it on to its lowest setting? I think that's what they were getting at. Unless electric pressure cookers' settings don't start that low.... then I could see putting it in an oven. Still, seems like slow cookers/crock pots are thicker material than any slow cooker I've seen so maybe you do need to buy a slow cooker, Charlottesville.

Pressure Cooker and Slow Cooker in two different ways so even at low heat settings it does not make sense to substitute one for another.

Pressure Cooker creates an airtight seal and cooks food by generating steam which helps tenderdize meat and other hard to cook things in a shorter amount of time.

Slow Cooker also helps tenderize but uses low setting to break those tough fibres and requires a good amount of liquid to help this process.

I don't think it would be advisable to leave a pressure cooker electric or otherwise on a low setting for long periods of time or unattended (as Jennyema mentioned). If you do that you may have an issue with burnt food before you will have an issue with a lid bursting open and causing burns or other destruction (at lower heat lids don't normally burst or fly open).

Back
Top Bottom