Can pesto be made in a blender?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I'm about to get the KitchenAid 5 speed blender, and I'm wondering if it can be used to make pesto. I have a mini Cuisinart food processor but it's a bit too small for the quantity of pesto I want to make. I hope the blender will work. Has anyone had any experience making pesto in a blender?

I have done it but it's difficult to do because there isn't enough liquid to get the food moving.

Andy beat me to it.

Sure. Keep in mind a blender needs liquid in order to process. Put in your oil. A FP, not so much, though some helps.

My experience with making pesto is to process it a little at a time. Don't overcrowd, use the chute.

Last edited:
I noticed that a chef on tv poured the olive oil in while the basil and nuts were being chopped in a food processor. I guess that wouldn't work in a blender since it needs liquid to get the basil and nuts chopping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would go with the FP, and just do small batches.

I recall overstuffing my FP with basil, I had huge amounts, it took a long time to process!

Dawgluver said:
I think I would go with the FP, and just do small batches.

I recall overstuffing my FP with basil, I had huge amounts, it took a long time to process!

My mini Cuisinart doesn't have a large spout for pouring, just small holes in the top. Do you think that will work for pouring the oil in?

I make a lot of pesto. I've used both. I prefer the FP. I do about 4 cups of "greens" each batch. I put the nuts and garlic in first, pulse that, add the greens, and then drizzle the oil in, adding the cheese last. I don't use pine nuts EVER -- deathly allergic. I cannot buy pesto because of this allergy (discovered it making pesto with pine nuts). I use almonds, walnuts, filberts, pistachio, cashews, pecans, peanuts--whatever nuts I have on hand or I can get on special. Sometimes I toast them, sometimes not. I like Swiss Chard with pecans, filberts, or walnuts. I like coriander with almonds or pistachio. Spinach with almonds.

I also use other things than basil (although, I always use some basil --I prefer the Greek basil if I'm not using basil for 100% of it). Some of the other greens I've used include Swiss Chard, coriander, parsley, and spinach. I keep meaning to use peas, but we generally eat them before I remember. I find Swiss Chard pesto is a great way to preserve the Swiss Chard harvest. Because I use mature SC, I do blanch it first for about 1-1/2 minutes. I've also used other cheeses other than parm.

I've always made it in the blender and it has always turned out. Never did it any other way so had no reason to doubt it would work! :rolleyes:

My best pesto is a true paste, made the old fashioned way=

Attachments

• mortar-pestle.jpg
    mortar-pestle.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 188
Buon Giorno, Buenas Días, Good Morning,

I use the Food Processor with exemplary results, however, one can use a Blender if they do not have a F.P. however, do work in tiny batches.

The Mortar & Pestle: If preparing a small batch, this is the traditional method still used today.

Have a wonderful August,
Margaux.

Last edited:
A small portion (~300ml) can go a long way for a family of 2. We put it up in 75ml portions which we use with about 230 g. of pasta.
We first chop the basil and garlic with a mezzaluna in a wooden bowl and then grind and blend in a mortar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom