Choosing a KitchenAid mixer... for myself...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go Pro!! If you don't , you'll be kicking yourself! Check out Kitchen Aid refirbished, you can get good deals on new mixers.

Does anyone have a Cusinart mixer? A friend of mine is very happy with hers. She did some research and chose it over the KitchenAid mixer.

I love my simple KA. I no longer have kids at home to cook or bake for. So come holiday time, it does what I want it to. I have my pasta maker, meat grinder, new glass bowl and my paddle bowl scrapper. And for only $60 at an auction, brand new, still in the box, I can't ask for anything more. It all depends on what you are going to be asking it to do. :chef:

Does anyone have a Cusinart mixer? A friend of mine is very happy with hers. She did some research and chose it over the KitchenAid mixer.

More and more I am hearing good things about Cuisinart. Their pans, mixers, food processors, etc. I get the impression that given a few more years and they are going to surpass a lot of the more expensive items in satisfaction and durability. It is becoming the Sunbeam of their day.

Does Cuisinart make vacuum cleaners yet? Wouldn't be surprised. ;)

The two mixers Cuisinart offers are both tilt back heads, which would be a no go for me.
That was one of my first criteria in picking my mixer - no tilt back! My MIL's is a tilt and she has had nothing but problems with it over the years. Can't remember the brand, not Cuisinart though.

That was one of my first criteria in picking my mixer - no tilt back! My MIL's is a tilt and she has had nothing but problems with it over the years. Can't remember the brand, not Cuisinart though.

What kind of problems?

What kind of problems?
I think the biggest one that comes to mind is that three times in the time I have been part of the family (10 years), She has tilted it up and it has fallen down and broken the glass bowl. Each time the company has replaced the bowl no questions asked, but NOT done anything to fix the actual problem.

I think the biggest one that comes to mind is that three times in the time I have been part of the family (10 years), She has tilted it up and it has fallen down and broken the glass bowl. Each time the company has replaced the bowl no questions asked, but NOT done anything to fix the actual problem.

Wow. I am surprised. I make sure mine has clearing room so that the head goes back completely. I have never had it fall down. Being short, I have to pull my mixer forward so that I can reach it. So it always has head room for tilting. Maybe that is the difference. And for me, I have the head tilt to the side instead of back. The lock part is on the side away from me. :)

I know certain Artisan's don't have that feature.
Thank you for clarifying your original statement which indicated that Artisan mixers don't have that feature. I'm interested in finding out which Artisan models don't have it. Do you have a link to a site that sells those or where I can get more info on those?
Or maybe it is just older models that don't have it? Mine is 10 years old and has it, so maybe older ones don't?

I don't know which one it is. I just know that the one we have at work doesn't. I spoke to the cook and he said it has to be an older model and probably was a cheap KA at that LOL

Cuisinart, Viking and Hamilton Beach Pro are all the same mixer with slightly different cases. I believe that outside of the US they are also sold as Delonghi, and Kenwood.

I am looking to pick up a stand mixer. The Pro 600 would be ~$100+tax more...

My things are:

- I don't cook/bake much, but want to get into baking more
- EVERYONE seems to blindly suggest the more powerful 575 watts Pro 600
- I've never made my own loaf of bread, but COULD see myself doing it down the road...
- I'm interested in trying to make my own ice cream
- I've heard adding ingredients is much easier in the Pro 600
- I feel like the head-tilt is nicer, yet everyone seems to recommend bowl lift. I felt like I could easily+quickly get the tilt-head bowl in and screwed in, but the bowl-lift was a little bit of an annoying two-hand process and the crank is on the opposite side of the power setting...
- I FEEL like the Artisan should be fine for me, but worry I'll find limits or wish I had the Pro 600 sooner rather than later...
- People have said the power combined with better dough hook alone is easily worth it
- I do like the smaller physical footprint of the Artisan, and worry I might have some trouble storing the Pro 600 (mainly due to height...)

I'm sure there's more... but, ya. I'm going back and forth constantly and just going crazy. I have no idea what to do!

I appreciate all comments given my situation! I'm definitely new to this...

I have had both, so here is my take:

I prefer the bowl lift. It means I can put it wherever the mixer will fit and never have to worry about leaving room for the tilting head. I like having the bigger bowl as well. I don't feel the 5qt bowl was too small for me, but at the same time I just like the size of the 6qt bowl more. If you feel like you want to get into baking your own bread the Pro 600 will be worth it if you do.

Will you be fine with the Artisan? Yes. Is the Pro 600 worth the money over an Artisan? For me it was.

Last edited:
I'm no expert at these things by any means but would like to share my experience. I have had my mixer for almost 8 years. It's a kitchenAid Pro 600. I bought it in my first year of Nursing School out of desperation knowing I couldn't afford it but I had been baking & selling sweet breads (banana nut, zucchini, apple, pumpkin, etc) for added income as Nursing School had us so poor I was considering eating at a local soup kitchen. Well, as luck would have it, I couldn't keep up with the demand (I should've took a hint & changed majors) & to top it off - my mixer died. So it was near Christmas time & I took power bill money to buy it. It payed for itself within the month. Now though I'm no expert, I, like you, see myself doing different things in the future. I love my mixer. Even though I do still sometimes feel like it may be wasted power ability & frequency of use may figure into the overall value, still, I see it as a wise investment knowing I'm not bound by any power means (I mean as far as my intentions would ever go). Also about the tilt head. Yeah, I fretted about that too, but for my personal need, I decided I wanted room to grow in case I decide to become a crazy Baker person. And the bowl lift was an easy adjustment. I used to wonder about how the tilt head might make my life easier until a friend of mine acquired one (whom I get together with & have a day of cooking). I got the opportunity to use it a few times and it's definitely I feature a person could get used to but for me personally, I had already gotten used to my bowl lift and it came down to cleaning the beaters off. They have to be cleaned off or they drip. That's true with both mixers most all mixers. Lastly, yes, it's big. I live in tiny living quarters so BOTH would be in the way for me. It gets moved around frequently, but so would the other one. For me personally, it still comes right back to not having power restrictions and the tilt head not being worth the trade. Eight years almost and I have definitely used it & it still looks and works like brand new. That said, search your own heart for intentions and money. Don't do anything because we said. Good Luck and hope you find & settle on the mixer you will be most happy with.

Go with the bowl lift, more power is better. I went from a K45 to a K5 to a Hobart N50 5qt lift countertop mixer. Three speed planetary transmission, so the motor always turns the same speed. First gear for dough, folding, second for meringues, finishing batters, third for water skiing. It sits on a small cart with all the attachments in the cart, so it is always as out of the way as it would otherwise be in the way. Pricey new, but they can be found used for a reasonable price. I bought mine used, stripped, for $7+tax, and it cost another $200 to dress it...beater, whisk, dough hook, bowls and some other things (meat grinder, copper insert bowl, etc.). I was given a grain mill attachment.

img_1110555_0_7f74796d1dbbee89e16703aabf605726.jpg

Go with the bowl lift, more power is better. I went from a K45 to a K5 to a Hobart N50 5qt lift countertop mixer. Three speed planetary transmission, so the motor always turns the same speed. First gear for dough, folding, second for meringues, finishing batters, third for water skiing. It sits on a small cart with all the attachments in the cart, so it is always as out of the way as it would otherwise be in the way. Pricey new, but they can be found used for a reasonable price. I bought mine used, stripped, for $7+tax, and it cost another $200 to dress it...beater, whisk, dough hook, bowls and some other things (meat grinder, copper insert bowl, etc.). I was given a grain mill attachment.

img_1110592_0_7f74796d1dbbee89e16703aabf605726.jpg

K 45, K 5A, and a Hobart N-50! It looks like you have had the best of everything!:LOL:

Hi, Leolady! Tell me about the very short-lived replacement Hobart made for the N50? I saw a picture of one for sale on Ebay, but couldn't copy it. Looked very modern, came with all stainless steel beaters, including a pastry knife. I can't find anything about it, even from Hobart. Oh, you can see from the picture that I have kept the pelican. It is on the bottom shelf, behind Sadie's food and water dishes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom