Choosing a KitchenAid mixer... for myself...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw it on Ebay also, but I don't have any info on it. It looked weird to me!

I am so glad you kept the pelican Gad!:cool:

Last edited:
I have always believed you get the best tool you can afford.

No argument, Frank. Daddy used to say, "don't every be afraid to buy the best; you won't be disappointed."

But what is best is modified by one's actual needs and budget. I have a friend, for instance, who bought one of those $90 table saws for the occasional piece of wood he cuts. Is that the "best" tool? Far from it. It's not even the best for his needs. But, given his use pattern, a $700 table saw makes no sense at all.

So it is with the OP. What she needs to buy is the "best" stand mixer consistent with her current and foreseable needs, that fits her budget. Give that, the Classic is certainly out, ranking with that 90 buck saw, IMO. But she'll go a long way, and increase her need for a stand mixer exponentially, before actually needing the Pro 6.

I am not trying to talk her out of a Pro 6. I love mine, and if it ever broke in a way that couldn't be repaired (which seems unlikely) I would replace it in a heartbeat. But it's also more mixer than she needs now and in the foreseebable future. She could buy the Artisan, which does meet her needs, and use the hundred buck savings for an attachment or two, such as a meat grinder or pasta maker.

To me, that's a realistic way of looking at "best."

Thanks to LeoLady, I've been able to establish that we're still making do with a 1940s Monkey Ward version of KA's Model 4-C. With a 1.5 amp universal motor, it has enough oomph for the KA and messerschmidt rotary shredder/slicer/grater and the messerschmidt wheat mill. It was never intended for bread dough.
Some of you probably would find LeoLady's website of interest-
LEOLADYS KITCHENAID MIXER HISTORY

I just now saw this post. :(

Thank you for visiting! I will be adding more information on there as I get more time and energy. I am so glad you were able to utilize information there.:cool:

Another vote here for the Pro 600. I love watching it mix and knead bread dough with the spiral dough hook.

We are just about to move to an out island in the Bahamas where homemade bread is just going to be one way to save money. Between the KA and our Welbilt bread machine, the house will smell of fresh bread two or three times a week.

This is a bump from me. We are now 2 months into living in the Out Islands of the Bahamas, and my KA Pro 600 is getting a regular workout. I'm making between 2 and 4 loaves a week so far, and loving it. I admit that some of the breadmaking is in our Welbilt bread machine, but I have a recipe for a great whole wheat bread that I make in the KA. I also make a couple of shaped breads which don't work in the machine.

I don't use bread flour as it's hard to find here and costs more than AP, so I use all purpose and regular whole wheat flour.. I add wheat gluten when I can get it (I brought some from the US and will ask anyone who comes to visit to stick a box in their luggage ;) ). So far I've only found yeast the little packets, so that's probably the most expensive regular breadmaking ingredient. I may have to ask friends to bring a jar or two of that also.

Aside from the other negatives with store bought bread, here it isn't as fresh (freight comes in once a week on Wednesday), and it's relatively more expensive than it was at home in Colorado. That just adds another good reason for making it myself. :chef:

This is a bump from me. We are now 2 months into living in the Out Islands of the Bahamas, and my KA Pro 600 is getting a regular workout. I'm making between 2 and 4 loaves a week so far, and loving it. I admit that some of the breadmaking is in our Welbilt bread machine, but I have a recipe for a great whole wheat bread that I make in the KA. I also make a couple of shaped breads which don't work in the machine.

I don't use bread flour as it's hard to find here and costs more than AP, so I use all purpose and regular whole wheat flour.. I add wheat gluten when I can get it (I brought some from the US and will ask anyone who comes to visit to stick a box in their luggage ;) ). So far I've only found yeast the little packets, so that's probably the most expensive regular breadmaking ingredient. I may have to ask friends to bring a jar or two of that also.

Aside from the other negatives with store bought bread, here it isn't as fresh (freight comes in once a week on Wednesday), and it's relatively more expensive than it was at home in Colorado. That just adds another good reason for making it myself. :chef:

If you have friends come to visit ask them to go to a club store like Sam's, or Costco. They often sell yeast bundled in 2-2 lb. bags for under $5, it is vacuum sealed and lasts a very long time. Usually it is instant yeast (think bread machine yeast).

If you have friends come to visit ask them to go to a club store like Sam's, or Costco. They often sell yeast bundled in 2-2 lb. bags for under $5, it is vacuum sealed and lasts a very long time. Usually it is instant yeast (think bread machine yeast).

Thanks for the tip. I actually did see some instant yeast (looked like about 2 pounds) today in Hardings store (we make a weekly grocery run up the island on Fridays - they stock the stores on Thursdays after getting deliveries from Wednesday's freighter). I didn't know what it was, so I didn't buy it. I'll probably wait now until next week, since it's a 45 minute drive one way, and gas here costs better than $6 a gallon. Is it used differently from regular active dry yeast, maybe similar to fast rising yeast?

You can use it the same as active dry yeast, in pretty much any application. You can skip dissolving it in water and just add all ingredients to the bowl and it will still work fine. I still dissolve mine in water with a little sugar to make sure that it is still good, but that's me.

You can use it the same as active dry yeast, in pretty much any application. You can skip dissolving it in water and just add all ingredients to the bowl and it will still work fine. I still dissolve mine in water with a little sugar to make sure that it is still good, but that's me.

Thank you again, and like you I prefer to proof it first. That way I don't ruin the rest of the ingredients if the yeast has died.

My stand-mixer lives in the basement. I only use the oven on weekends, cook for one during the week, so plan when I'm going to use it. When I'm going to use it, I bring it up and it lives on the countertop for the weekend. I have a meat grinder that I use for making sausages, and a pasta maker for pasta, FPs for grating cheeses, etc. The FP lives in a cupboard because I use that almost every day. I adhere to the minimalist strategy re: the kitchen--the fewer things on the countertop, the happier I am.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom