Choosing a rice cooker/steamer/slow cooker combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madmartian

Assistant Cook
I am trying to find a rice cooker / steamer / slow cooker that does a good job at all three. I think I've narrowed it down to two models:

Amazon.com: Sanyo ECJ-HC55H 5-1/2-Cup Micro-Computerized Rice Cooker and Slow Cooker, Grey: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Krups RK7009 4-in-1 5-Cup Rice Cooker and Steamer: Kitchen & Dining

Is anyone familiar enough with either of these to make a recommendation - or is there perhaps another multi-cooker I should consider?

I can find neither one in a local store and can't even find photos of the accessories (pot, steamer tray, etc) online. Both come with plastic steamer trays, which is disappointing, but I do have a silicon insert that will likely work in its place anyway. The Sanyo bowl has a titanium coating. I am assuming the Krups has a more standard teflon coating.

Welcome to the site.

Zojirushi is typically known as the best rice cooker brand. I have one and could not be happier with it. Mine does not act as a steamer though (so it does not come with a steaming insert), but there are ways around that.

I do not know anything about the Krups one, but I have heard of many people who have been very happy with Sanyo rice cookers.

Of those 2, I would go with Sanyo .. Krups is a good Brand, but Sanyo is a Japanese company, and you can never go wrong with any Japanese product. Krups is a German company .. I've never known Germans to be well known for Rice cooking, or steamed food .. maybe slow cooking

I would never recommend a multi-purpose appliance. I think it far better to have a separate rice cooker and crockpot [slow cooker]. Supposing you wanted to cook rice to have with a curry you are cooking in the crockpot - well you can't do them both at the same time in one of the multi-purpose appliances, can you.

For steaming you can either use a steamer insert in a regular pan, or steam in a microwave oven in a steaming container, both of which are very inexpensive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom