Coffee center broke after a week!!!ARGH!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Has anyone had problems with their steam wand on their coffee/cappuccino makers? Why is it that the steam wand is the first one to mess up? We are ready to box it and return it to the store. ARgh!

Dina said:
Has anyone had problems with their steam wand on their coffee/cappuccino makers? Why is it that the steam wand is the first one to mess up? We are ready to box it and return it to the store. ARgh!

I bought the Krups Duomo system over a year ago. Use it every day, and have no problems whatsoever.

On the other hand, I used to have a DeLonghi Combination Coffee/Espresso Machine, and it was a total hangar queen. In th efirst year, the repair place had it twice as much as I did. They actually replaced the first unit I bought with a more expensive model because the repai shop couldn't stop it from leaking all over my counter, but after about 3 months, the more expensive model started doing the same thing, so I finally just gave it to the Starvation Army and swore both at and off De Longhi products.

Corey,
The steam wand is to froth the milk for cappuccinos. I'm hooked on the froth milk with a shot of espresso and caramel in it.

Caine,
Mine's a West Bend from WalMart. We decided not to go too expensive this time since our last one was quite pricey and didn't last long. Luckily, my son was so desperate for coffee this afternoon and decided to mess with it and clean out the dried milk in the nozzle and made it work. Yey! We have cappuccinos again.

Last edited:
No wonder I didn't know what it was!

My machine does not froth milk, so it doesn't have that. I DOES however, froth the coffee as it is being brewed and dispensed into the cup or mug.

I usually add the cream or non-dairy creamer to the mug just before brewing, but that was then. As of late, I've been drinking coffee black with nothing in it, not even sugar.

Aren't those Senseo type machines very expensive to run, having to buy those special one cup pods and all? How much does it cost to make a cup of coffee with that machine?

Now, I make a pretty strong cup of coffee, but I can still make an 8 to 10 cup pot every day for about two weeks from a1 pound bag of gourmet style coffee beans that I usually pay about 10 bucks for, so I figure I spend between 7 and 9 cents a cup with a regular coffeemaker.

I believe they are very expensive to run Caine. I pay $8 a pound for my coffee so the price I paid for our coffee center will suffice for our budget. We spend about 8 cents a cup. But it's all worth it for a good cup of coffee.

I prefer to grind my own beans directly before I brew, so pod machines are out for me. My father recently bought a Krups espresso machine that can brew from specially made pods, or via normal grounds. The pods are expensive (compared to plain grounds, or whole bean), and they don't produce the strength of coffee that either of us liked. Once he ran out, he never bought them again.

I have a Mr. Coffee ECMP30 espresso machine which is a pump version (therefore capable of producing a nice crema on the espresso). Looking around on the web, I've found that most people dislike theirs because they are noisy (true, but not as noisy as my burr grinder, so I am fine with it), and that they are shoddily constructed.

When I first bought it, the water resevoir leaked, so I had to call Mr. Coffee and they sent a new one out to me right away. After about a year of use, the silicon gasket that seals the thing that holds the grounds (the name escapes me) to the machine tore. I called them and asked if I could buy a new gasket. They said that they would send me out a new one for free. A week later a big box arrived in the mail. Apparently, they decided I deserved a whole new machine. Now I have 2.

The steam arm has never broken on mine and it does a great job of frothing milk. The only issue I have is that it is difficult to clean.

I've had it for over 3 years now with only those problems, so I can't really agree with other user opinions on the construction.

Anyways, I just thought I would throw out my experience. This is my first post on the forum (I found it today), and I plan on being here for a while.

I had the Mr. Coffee model that you have. I got it for Christmas 2 or 3 years ago and it lasted about 10 days before it broke. I took it back and have never gotten around to getting another one. I like the cuisinart coffee maker I have now just fine and it's lasted for 2 or 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom