Counter top oven, suggestion needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
My mom decided that since it's only her, she doesn't need her oven. It's too big she says. I think it's silly, but can't argue with her.

She wants a counter top oven that she can use to bake some, couple pieces, of chicken, for example, or a potato, or simply warm something up. She doesn't like microwave. Or toast a bread.

Anybody has experience with that kind of appliance? There are so many of them on the market. I am lost.

Please help.

My mom decided that since it's only her, she doesn't need her oven. It's too big she says. I think it's silly, but can't argue with her.

She wants a counter top oven that she can use to bake some, couple pieces, of chicken, for example, or a potato, or simply warm something up. She doesn't like microwave. Or toast a bread.

Anybody has experience with that kind of appliance? There are so many of them on the market. I am lost.

Please help.

As you say, there are many on the market.

I decided to go with a Black and Decker.. It works well for me but, you will find many here with their own view on what works for them..
Good luck.. :)

Ross

I have had a Farberware countertop convection oven since '77 , and have used that more than my two ovens in my range! That is what made me look for a range with a convection oven when I bought my house in '83 - not a common thing back then, even in commercial ranges! That said, I would suggest looking for one that can be used either with, or without the convection feature, as some things don't bake as well in convection. I'm sure some others will chime in that have experience with newer ones on the market! :LOL: There are a number of well known brands out there - Breville, is one of the best known. And, as with MW ovens, there are over-complicated ones out there, with countless "smart" settings, but that's more to go wrong with things, IMO. As for toasting, I would suggest a small, old fashioned toaster, if she eats a lot of toast - I wouldn't want to heat up a rather large oven, just for toast, and I wouldn't suggest getting a slightly large toaster oven, as the only oven.

Hi Charlie. I have an Oster toaster oven which I use a lot for baking and roasting. It comfortably fits a 9x13 pan as long as it doesn't have large handles. It has two racks for cooking, so I can put a tray of potato wedges or other vegetables in a shallow pan on one shelf and a dish with an entree (fish fillets, or chicken pieces, or breaded pork chops) in a baking dish on the second shelf. I can also fit two tray type baking pans like a cookie sheet or my scone pans. I can also bake a full size bread in the oven. I recently had to replace my standard range, but I actually like the results I get better when I bake scones in the toaster oven.

I know you said your Mom doesn't toast bread, but we do. I think my Oster oven is used every single day in some capacity. I've had it about a year and have no complaints. I was looking online to find a link to the oven I have. It looks like my model is no longer available, but I did find one that is very similar to mine: Oster Convection Oven-Countertop It seems most of similar Oster countertop ovens are now digital and have a slightly larger capacity. Mine will fit a 12" pizza easily; now they say they fit 16" pizzas! Those Oster ovens are running about $120.

My experience with Black & Decker small appliances is that they usually expire just about the same time the warranty does.

I had an Oster extra large counter top oven and it would do just about anything you could possibly expect from a convection toaster oven. My only complaint was that, because it was extra large, it took FOREVER to make toast! But you could bake, broil, toast, cook a 16-inch pizza, or defrost frozen items.

Hi Charlie. My one suggestion is you carefully measure the space where she wants to put it before you look for anything. In my case, I'm limited to the size of my small counter next to my stove. It won't do you any good to buy one bigger than what she's able to use.

Charlie, I read and heard lots of positive info about Breville toaster ovens. Too rich for my blood. We have had positive experiences with Cuisinart products. They have a large variety with a wide range of prices to choose from.

Thank you everybody. Will start with measuring the counter.
I would like to stay with $100 bucks. That will help me concentrate on certain products instead of being all over the place.
Thank you.

I have been very happy with a Delonghi toaster oven with convection. I have had it since Yule 1995 and it works great. The convection part is a setting. It doesn't have to be on. It also works as a dehydrator. It wasn't cheap, but hasn't needed any kind of servicing in the 24 years we have had it and it gets used a lot.

My only quibble, and this would apply to any toaster oven that has it, is the continuous clean surface. It's supposed to be easy to just wipe off any dirt. Well, the dirt doesn't stick much, but the surface is rough. It's rough enough that it tears off tiny bits or fibres from any sponge or cloth that you try to wipe it with. I quit trying to wipe the inside and I don't see any dirt on the walls, so I guess the continuous cleaning is doing something.

Another vote for the Oster convection toaster oven.

I bought mine at the local Walmart for around $50.00.

One caution though when switching from a conventional oven to a toaster oven.

The use of Pyrex casseroles/baking dishes and aluminum foil are discouraged.

Also, much of the prepackaged frozen food cannot be heated in the original packaging.

If you don't have small metal pans check Amazon for a selection of bakeware designed for use in a toaster oven.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=toaster+...ster+oven+cook,garden,170&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_17

Good luck!

Bumping this as, "Sir_Loin_of_Beef" is correct.. My 2 year old Black & Decker has decided it no longer wants to heat above 300 degrees.. :ermm:

I'm looking at Air fryer/oven combos and would like any feedback from those who might have one..

The one I keep going back to look at is the Cuisinart TOA-60 Convection Toaster Oven Airfryer shown by Amazon @ $159.00

Any experiences, thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.. :)

Ross

Bumping this as, "Sir_Loin_of_Beef" is correct.. My 2 year old Black & Decker has decided it no longer wants to heat above 300 degrees.. :ermm:

I'm looking at Air fryer/oven combos and would like any feedback from those who might have one..

The one I keep going back to look at is the Cuisinart TOA-60 Convection Toaster Oven Airfryer shown by Amazon @ $159.00

Any experiences, thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.. :)

Ross

I don't have any experience with that Cusinart toaster oven. I do however have a Cusinart toaster, immersion blender, and food processor. Those are durable machines that I have had for years. I think the food processor is the newest, purchased in 2013.

I have an Instant Vortex Plus that I use in hotels etc. So far I have been very happy with it.

Thank you.. :)

I had not known of this product. Looked it up and its very interesting.

The only downside I can see is that it doesn't seem to hold my quarter sheet pans.. Looking into it further..

Ross

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with that Cusinart toaster oven. I do however have a Cusinart toaster, immersion blender, and food processor. Those are durable machines that I have had for years. I think the food processor is the newest, purchased in 2013.

Thank you.. :)

I have always liked Cusinart appliances also..

Ross

There are so many Info-mercials today hawking kitchen products it isn't funny. Every Celebrity Chef has one it seems.

Lately Emeril Lagasse has been all over the TV spectrum with his latest wonder:

71nuxWHhTFL._SL500_.jpg

But this same exact product is available at Walmart...cheaper.

I have my "Toastmaster", Rotisserie, Oven, & Broiler unit in my Van now (a home-built RV) but it is a power eater as it's 115 AC @ 1800 watt. I got it back when I was first out of school and getting started, moving around living in several unfurnished places so it, a double electric burner, and coffee percolator covered my needs.

The oven in her range, if not a gas range, would probably be 240 AC and more efficient. (considering the cost of one of these things and the power it will use)

I later bought a cheap Microwave as I thought it could be of use. (cheap enough then) In the end it was just another curiosity, so I sold it.

One more vote for Cuisinart, which is my first go-to choice if Krups doesn't make it.

That said, I recently bought the Emeril LaGassbag Power Air Fryer 360 at an auction house for $125.00. It was a returned item, new in the box. I now do just about everything in it, and my oven and my other appliances are really getting lonely. I think they are planning a coup! My only complaint is it came with 3 crisper trays, but no pizza rack. I ordered a pizza rack, but it's currently out of stock, so I have no idea when, of if, I am going to get it. I'm dying to make my own rotisserie chicken. I did rotisserie a pork loin and it came out great!

Ross
Too bad. Had you followed my lead two years ago your Oster would still be plugging away just fine. ;)

Cuisinart is a workhorse brand. My kitchen is full of their small appliances. I would have bought a Cuisinart toaster last time had they offered one with two baking racks like my Oster. Having said that, I am still very happy with the Oster.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom