Countertop infrared/halogen/convection roaster/fryers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Does anybody have one and do they really cook as well as they claim? I've always thought they looked interesting but price range varies widely, anywhere from $60 to over $200, depending on features. Does the 1-2 Tbsp of oil really fry like a deep fat fryer or even pan frying?

I thought about getting this one a couple of years ago. Check out the reviews and see what you think.

Tefal Actifry FZ700015 Reviews - Compare Prices and Deals - Reevoo

I finally decided that for me the best option was to save my money and limit my deep fried food intake to a couple of treats a year. Now I order a deep fried item in a restaurant or make it at home using a baking sheet or cast iron pan.

I've been looking at the reviews since I posted. They all seem to have problems with cracked domes, in a lot of cases even after just a few uses. So, maybe not.

There was a show where I just saw one of these for the 1st time. I would be willing to spend $50 on a cheap one to try them. My stomach issues prevent me from eating fried foods, but I miss them sometimes...

Does anybody have one and do they really cook as well as they claim? I've always thought they looked interesting but price range varies widely, anywhere from $60 to over $200, depending on features. Does the 1-2 Tbsp of oil really fry like a deep fat fryer or even pan frying?

I love my halogen ovens. Have two, one for backup. I also have a large Breville Smart toaster/oven but can do much more the the HO. They are bulky and need more counter space than a toaster oven, but light enough to keep on shelf, take out and return when done. My Breville lives on the counter as it's more intuitive to use, especially for anyone else in the family.

It's my go to for crispy roast chicken, 10 minutes a poound at 400° using low rack and extender ring. Start hen (seasoned on and under skin) upside down for first half of cook time. Be sure to put foil on bottom of bowl for easier cleanup because there will be inches of drained fat there.

Did a roast chicken cook off using my smoker, my grill's rotisserie, a beer can upright hen and the HO. Hands down, the HO was crisper, juicier and more flavorful (except no smoke flavor) preferred by all.

HO can make great toast, fast and easy broiler (high rack, full temp, 10-15 minutes tops, no need to turn). Also can broil a steak or chop from frozen state. I also cook oven crisped breaded chicken and vegetables it in. Just a spray with Pam type product or oil mister. Turning food is optional. It really works as well as my pricey Breville or regular oven (a Wolf stove).

There is a learning curve as to temperature, high or low rack, extender ring or not. And a mesh basket is necessary for fries. No need to buy multi hundred dollar Actifry or air fryer, as both the cheaper analog and the more expensive digital HO's work the same. I have a Big Boss analog (4 years now) and a Sharper Image digital (recent digital upgrade).

Most have glass bowl which is heavy for cleaning. The lids that crack are just with the Nuwave which has a plastic dome.

PM or email me for tips on using the HO.

Shelly

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom