Crock pot cooking vs roaster slow cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vangie

Assistant Cook
Because crock pots are relatively small in size to cook for a large crowd;would a roaster be a good replacement?:glare:

We have I think 3 Crock Pots...realy old ones...We rarely if ever use them.
I prefer low & slow either on/in the oven with a cast iron dutch oven or over a camp fire..Also we have several stainless "pots" with tight fitting lids that do a nice job!

So I would not necessarily "replace" the crock pot...just add the "roaster" to your arsenal!

Actually, Vangie, there are several ways to slow cook something.

One is on top of the stove in a cast iron pot over very low heat. I've done roasts, soups and stews this way. Or take the pot off the stove and slow cook the food in the oven.

The other way is in a slow oven with a covered roaster that has a tight-fitting lid (Boston Baked Beans were done this way for many years).

Then there the electric slow cooker. And also, a large electric roaster. Ribs can be slow cooked in the counterop roaster or regular oven.

I've slow cooked with all those methods, but it's hard to tell which one is better since they all do an equally amazing job.

They are true staples in the kitchen that will help you get the job done.

And yes, the roaster can accommodate a large crowd.

Last edited:
Slow cookers braise. That is, they cook food slowly with liquids. Braising s meant for tenderizing tough cuts of meat.

You can accomplish the same effect in any tightly closed container with low heat, either in the oven or on the stove top. The key is to brown the meats over high heat then add liquids, and seasonings, cover tightly and cook slowly with lower heat.

This is they way it was done before slow cookers came along.

Speaking of that, I'm tempted to make either some beef stew over rice this weekend, maybe tomorrow, or some chili.

I got a hankering for some homemade beef stew.

Last edited:
In the current issue of Diabetic Living, there is a recipe for slow cooked Hearty Beef Chili, but the recipe calls for cubed beef or pork instead of ground beef.

vangie said:
Because crock pots are relatively small in size to cook for a large crowd;would a roaster be a good replacement?:glare:
vangie,
depends on what your cooking, when we have enchiladas or tacos, I do my meat in the slow cooker, with 12-16 of us at those times, the slo-cooker does the job, but for these same people a prime rib or tenderloins or several whole chickens go into an oven roaster. If your making stews,soup, and beans for a crowd, I'd use several slow cookers..Hope this helps a little and hope I've answered correctly.
kadesma

I have a large oval crockpot, but I don't actually cook with it. I use it as a chafing dish for soups/stews and warm beverages like Mulled Cider.

I much prefer using one of 8qt pots for making stews/soups/braises.

Vangie, I never liked slow cookers. Something happens to the texture of beef that I don't like. I use only organic produce and organic meats and chickens. I just use a very large pot with a tight lid on my simmer burner. Have left food simmering as long as 14 hours and there has never been a problem. The only drawback to stove top is checking the pot several times.

vangie said:

It really totally depends on what you are fixing. If the "roaster" you are referring to is the countertop roasting oven, that is a whole 'nother way of cooking--and may or may not be "slow cooking". There is really nothing that you do in a crockpot that can't be done in your oven, as others have alluded to, by cooking in a closed dutch oven, for example.

If you could tell us more exactly what your need is, maybe it could be answered better.

A slow cooker braises food, Like Andy said, with moist heat.

A roaster roasts food with dry heat.

They are very different methods of cooking.

I have had wonderful results with just placing all my ingredients in a very heavy soup pot with tight fitting lid, bringing to a gentle boil and then simmer on my simmer burner. This method works for me instead of going out to buy a crockpot for just a few recipes.

jennyema said:
A slow cooker braises food, Like Andy said, with moist heat.

A roaster roasts food with dry heat.

They are very different methods of cooking.

A roaster can also braise as well if you use the cover that it came with. I used to use the small one for braising short ribs.

I can't say this is true for everyone. But I use the slow cooker for its purpose, though I have used a slow oven and a covered roaster and/or cast iron dutch oven. The problem I have using the oven is that the ceramic hot-surface igniter remains on for the entire cooking time, which shortens the life ot the igniter. And then I have to do maintenance on the stove. Also, there is less heat loss from the slow cooker, which I believe should result in lower energy bills.

But other than those issues, cooking results are great with either heat source.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My 6 qt. crockpot died. I have a large roaster oven that I love, but it's too big for taking to church potlucks. I'm thinking of replacing the crockpot with a 6qt roaster..is there any reason why I shouldn't?

My 6 qt. crockpot died. I have a large roaster oven that I love, but it's too big for taking to church potlucks. I'm thinking of replacing the crockpot with a 6qt roaster..is there any reason why I shouldn't?

A 6-quart roaster is very similar to a 6-quart slow cooker except for the temperature control. A slow cooker has high and low settings. Some models will automatically switch from one to the other during the cooking time. A roaster has a temperature dial that you set.

They would probably do the same things but require different cooking sequences and times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom