Cuisinart Rice Cooker... CRC-400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey gang, thought i'd post. i tried a third time, an she burnt all my rice again. i took it back, and actually got the 15 cup cooker for the same price in its place! I cooked some brown rice tonight at at 3:1 ratio, and it came out *perfect* i'd say i had a defective model. thanks for all the replies

You're welcome! Glad you took it back and got a better one!!

I particularly don't think too highly of Cuisinart products for the same reason that you took your first one back. But hopefully, THIS one will be better.

Last edited:
I've got the Cuisinart rice cooker you first mentioned. My experience with it is that anything left on the "warm" setting gets crusty at the bottom. I never use the measuring cup that came with it or the nonsensical measuring lines in the pan; I generally use the standard rice-to-liquid ratios for stovetop rice cooking.

Another problem I have with it is that if I use 6 cups of liquid or more, it boils over. Sticky crap comes out the hole in the top, and it also leaks out all around the lid. So much for its 10-cup capacity--I don't ever use more than 2 1/2 cups raw rice any more.

I've used it for brown rice, white rice, quick-cooking barley, rice pudding, rice mixes, and pilafs (starting with sauteeing onions and mushrooms right in the rice cooker).

I guess I like it well enough, now that I've gotten used to it, but my next rice cooker will NOT have a removable glass lid (hopefully, to avoid the boiling over problem).

Last edited:
The reason you have the boil over problem is because you are not using the measuring cup and liquid lines that are on the cooker. The confusion comes from the fact that the 10 cup capacity is not 10 US cups. Instead of a cup being 8 oz I think the rice cookers use a 6oz cup. If you used the cup and measuring lines you would be able to make 10 (6 oz) cups without boiling over.

That makes sense, and explains the boil-over problem.

Still, in the real world, one cup = eight ounces, and I'm not going to relearn that as "one cup = six ounces" for one crazy appliance. Seems to me they shouldn't use "cup" to mean something that is not a "cup" in a field where "cup" already has a strict definition.

I have a hard enough time as it is to remember all of the ratios for liquid to different types of grain (white rice, brown rice, couscous, barley, quinoa, etc.)!! One of these days I'm going to write it all on an index card and tape it to an inside cabinet door, instead of having to look it up almost every time.

So, as I said, I've learned what the maximum amounts are for the Cuisinart rice cooker, using REAL measurements, and I can live with that. Thanks for pointing out the reason for the boil-over, though; I hadn't thought of that.

Well a cup is a cup in the US, but these rice cookers come from Japan usually where they do not use US measurements.

They make it very easy for you though so there is nothing to remember at all. Just use the measuring cup that came with the cooker and fill the water to the marked line and you can be assured your rice will turn out perfect. These machines work amazing well and will consistently turn out perfect rice if you use their measurements.

I come from the real world and I've come to realize that unless you say to someone specifically "measuring" cup, they will call a cup anything used to scoop something with. As in; I feed my dog 1 cup of food in the morning, when in reality they are feeding it 20 oz of food in some plastic momento "cup" they got from a football game or something.

Well a cup is a cup in the US, but these rice cookers come from Japan usually where they do not use US measurements.

They make it very easy for you though so there is nothing to remember at all. Just use the measuring cup that came with the cooker and fill the water to the marked line and you can be assured your rice will turn out perfect. These machines work amazing well and will consistently turn out perfect rice if you use their measurements.

Dude, relax. I was just saying.

'Bye.:glare:

I am plenty relaxed dudette. I think maybe you are misreading me if you think I am worked up. I am simply trying to help you. Take it for what it is worth. If you want to listen to my advise then go for it. If you don't then dont. It is no problem for me either way.

Back
Top Bottom