Deep Fryer Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MangiareVomitare

Assistant Cook
Hi, everybody. I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a deep fryer to replace my father's current Presto Fry Daddy, which is teflon-lined. Can any of you suggest one to me, based on the following two requirements?

1) It should NOT have one of those heating elements that stick out into the oil, as they look not only fragile, but also very hard to clean, and

2) The inner frying chamber should NOT be aluminum or coated with teflon, because I'm trying to avoid dubious substances being into the food he's cooking.

Ideally I'd like one that is stainless steel inside, with enamel coating or something like that.
Thanks.:chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a Teflon coated Fry Daddy (very old) and the polished aluminum Fry Daddy.
I prefer the coated one over the polished aluminum as the AL one has raised ribs on the bottom that interferes with cooking. Specifically interferes with cooking utensils used for deep frying.
The Teflon coated fryer is smooth and effortless. Its easier to fry in and much easier to wash. Its my choice for Fry Daddy. I don't think the Teflon coated ones are even available anymore and that is a shame.

Now to the element.
Fry daddy has one thing wrong with it. Burned loose pieces of cooked food and breadings or batters end up on the bottom. In turn when food is added to a fryer like this, it sinks to the bottom and picks up these left over pieces and burned flour ect...

The key is to keep the food above these particles that have fallen to the bottom of the fryer. All the very good deep fryers have the element immersed for a reason. Even, quick heating of the oil.
So, until a manufacturer combines the two best parts of frying, you have to choose.
Take a fryer with an exposed element and basket or use a fryer like Fry Daddy.

My next fryer will have an exposed element and basket. I have received as gifts decent fryers with exposed element and basket. But I think quality was not observed when the purchase was made. They always get taken back to the store if possible. They also use more oil than Fry Daddy does. Much more oil.
I have not shopped for a fryer in the last couple years so maybe there is a perfect fryer out there somewhere?

Hi, everybody. I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a deep fryer to replace my father's current Presto Fry Daddy, which is teflon-lined. Can any of you suggest one to me, based on the following two requirements?

1) It should NOT have one of those heating elements that stick out into the oil, as they look not only fragile, but also very hard to clean, and

2) The inner frying chamber should NOT be aluminum or coated with teflon, because I'm trying to avoid dubious substances being into the food he's cooking.

Ideally I'd like one that is stainless steel inside, with enamel coating or something like that.

Thanks.:chef:

"Enameled oil pot removes for quick cleanup"

Aroma ADF-232 Digital Deep Fryer | Overstock.com Shopping - Big Discounts on Aroma Fryers

I don't know if this is a good deep fryer---- just posted it because it doesn't have a teflon oil pot.

I'm sure that I'm a voice crying in the wilderness, but I use a deep stainless steel pan on the stove. Most kitchens have several different sizes available, clean up is a breeze and it is one less item to store. If you are concerned about temperature control then invest in a thermometer for $5 to $10 bucks, I don't bother with one I just guesstimate the temperature of the oil.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm sure that I'm a voice crying in the wilderness, but I use a deep stainless steel pan on the stove. !

You may be 'that voice' but it''s a sensible one!
We all want our 'toys' now but deep frying was done way before FryDaddy was ever born.;)

After getting a dedicated pot for deep frying I'll never go back to electric.

One question for you experienced deep fryers, how do you dispose of the used oil? Do you use new oil every time?

I'm never sure exactly what to do with the used oil. I've usually put it in a empty coffee can or something like that and trashed it.

I use it til it gets funky. At least/about six times, but I don't strain either, I leave it in the pot. And I pour it in my burn pit to dispose.

Not that I'm experienced, but I'll get on a deep frying tear now and then.

Is there any point in worrying about the long term effects of aluminium or Teflon if you're eating so much deep fried food that you need a special cooker?

I'm sure that I'm a voice crying in the wilderness, but I use a deep stainless steel pan on the stove. Most kitchens have several different sizes available, clean up is a breeze and it is one less item to store. If you are concerned about temperature control then invest in a thermometer for $5 to $10 bucks, I don't bother with one I just guesstimate the temperature of the oil.

Good luck!
I'll join you and we can be a choir in the wilderness. Can't remember the last time I deep fried anything but I'd have used an ordinary pan. Mind you if the OP's father is elderly perhaps a fryer is safer than a pan.

One question for you experienced deep fryers, how do you dispose of the used oil? Do you use new oil every time?

I'm never sure exactly what to do with the used oil. I've usually put it in a empty coffee can or something like that and trashed it.

The last time I answered that question here at DC I got spanked and my post was deleted! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Just don't flush it! Chief Longwind has a brilliant idea, use it as a charcoal starter for the grill.

Pac, do you refrigerate the used oil or leave it out?

I leave it out... more or less.
When the deep fryer cools I stick it in the oven (that I rarely use). It has a mesh lid, so it can "breathe" if necessary. I'd like to get a strainer/container system, but it seems they all get poor reviews and I would need two to hold all the oil I use.
I haven't used it for several months, so I'd have to give the oil a looksee, but if it looks fine, there aren't a lot of "crumbs" on the bottom and it doesn't smell rancid, that's good enough for me. It's not like I'm drizzling it on a salad :LOL:
Actually I just bought a laser thermometer I hope I can use for the oil temp, since something happened to my candy thermometer and my Thermapen has been iffy, too.

My father HAS tried frying in a deep pan, but the problem is that what he fries -- shrimp, smelts, and fish -- just don't come out as crispy as when he uses his Fry Daddy. They seem to just absorb too much oil and they just don't have the lightness they do with the Fry Daddy.

Back
Top Bottom