Dishwasher Drying Cycle Choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
With the machine sloshing away in the background, I was wondering what you guys do.

I always push the energy saver button for the drying cycle on my dishwasher. There's another one called "Hi-Temp Scrub," but I rarely if ever use it.

If you use the hotter selection, why or when?

I use the High Temp scrub and Sanitize cycles when I've been doing poultry and want to sanitize the cutting boards. Also for more heavily soiled stuff.

I usually use the Normal cycle and sometimes the time saver cycle.

I live in an apartment and I'm betting my dishwasher is no less than 20 years old. One thing that I have noticed is that no matter which drying cycle I use it never really drys the puddles of water left in the bottoms of cups, etc. So, when the wash cycle ends .... I open the door and pull out the top rack, use a clean sponge to wick up the water on the bottom of the cups, glasses, etc. and then close the door for about 5-minutes - just to get everything heated up. Then I open the door and let things "air dry". I find they are just as dry in about the same amount of time as if I had let them run through the complete "energy saver" drying cycle - but with less energy (electricity) used.

UNLESS I've had a cold or the flu - then I let it run through the full "hi-temp" drying cycle.

Last edited:
Michael in FtW said:
Then I open the door and let things "air dry". I find they are just as dry in about the same amount of time as if I had let them run through the complete "energy saver" drying cycle - but with less energy (electricity) used.

While I was trying to make some peace with those old style dishwasher many years ago I did the same thing... It did work, at the expense of numerous bruises on my shins...

(I have given up on dishwashers for a long time, but nowadays I hear the functionalities of dishwashers have been improved dramatically in the last several years, I may consider getting them when we move into a bigger place)

:ermm: It's been 25 or 30 years since I used a dishwasher for anything but storage and there is no button on the panel for that.

Dishwasher? I have one cycle...Ajax and HOT water...Barkeepers Friend for my pots. Oh, you meant automatic. The pupster is pretty good with plates and bowls, but is hard on fine glassware, and can't handle pots and pans at all.

Robo410 said:
Dishwasher? I have one cycle...Ajax and HOT water...Barkeepers Friend for my pots. Oh, you meant automatic. The pupster is pretty good with plates and bowls, but is hard on fine glassware, and can't handle pots and pans at all.

:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:
I used to have the same dishwasher! Then I upgraded and had two, until they moved out!! Then dh finally decided that he would pitty me and got me one. Now one of the former dishwashers is back home and doesn't have to worry about it, except for emptying. {bad english,I know}
My dogs would love to help you btw!!:LOL:

I didn't get a big one, mine is just a basic model with heavy and normal wash with heat or no heat.

I always use the air dry cycle and never use the high temp cycle.
Some years ago I remember seeing a report on 20/20 about dishwashers catching on fire and burning down homes. I don't remember what make or models that they were, but I guess it just stuck in the back of my mind, so I just don't use those features.

JohnL said:
I always use the air dry cycle and never use the high temp cycle.
Some years ago I remember seeing a report on 20/20 about dishwashers catching on fire and burning down homes. I don't remember what make or models that they were, but I guess it just stuck in the back of my mind, so I just don't use those features.

John:

That was a defective switch on one model made by one manufacturer. I think it would be reasonable to assume that all dishwashers made since that time are not plagued by the same defect.

Mud I've had a few different DWs. I avoid the high temp, as my measuring cup turned into the elephant man. Also don't see the need for scrub, since I rinse everything off fiirst. Also don't want to mar/damage the surface of dishes, good china or not. Maybe it was also due to the fact that the water/heat was way too high. Actually, I rarely use the DW. I let 'em soak a little (if necessary) and wash 'em off.

I just love my dishwasher. We eat far more "complicated" food now we don't have to argue over who's going to wash up all the pots and pans. It makes cooking a lot more fun and domestic harmony altogether better!

I use the very hot cycle when I've been cutting up chicken, just like Andy, and occasionally for very dirty things. Usually I use the ordinary cycle, but we've also got a half-hour programme that's great for less than very dirty stuff. I never put any non-stick stuff in the dishwasher but do put some plastic things in if I'm using the half-hour or ordinary temperature programmes. I reckon the dishwasher washes things far more hygienically than I ever could by hand. Plus, as it's a relatively new design, it's economical on water use.

As for powders and potions, I've tried all kinds of tablets but have gone back to using gel rather than tablets - it's less abrasive and doesn't damage plastics. Here in Spain you can also get a lozenge-shaped tablet inside a plastic holder that supposedly protects glass. My Mum tells me these aren't available in the UK. I've been using those for some time and have never had glasses go white. I swapped back to supposedly all-new, all-marvellous tablets, but had scratch marks and white corrosion appear on first use.

Oh I'm sure that you are correct Andy, I can't imagine any manufacturer making a product that unsafe and putting it on the market today. It's just one of those dumb things that stuck in my brain. My dishwasher is a Kenmore, (probably made by whirlpool) and is approx 10 years old. I've never had a problem with it and it cleans well on the "normal" setting every time.

mudbug said:
With the machine sloshing away in the background, I was wondering what you guys do.

I always push the energy saver button for the drying cycle on my dishwasher. There's another one called "Hi-Temp Scrub," but I rarely if ever use it.

If you use the hotter selection, why or when?

I love my machine!!

My Maytag portable machine has what is called Extended Wash and AccuTemp options.

I imagine that, as their names imply, that the main wash is extended through time, temp and heat for the wash.

AccuTemp, I'm sure, makes certain that the final rinse water is heated to about 140 degrees. Doesn't sound like it would be hot enough, but trust me, that's pretty Blam hot!!!

What happens in those portions of a cycle is that, when selected, a temperature-controlled thermostat that's secured to the bottom of the tub, gets its "reading" from the water and temporarily stops the timer motor from advancing the timer forward until the heating element has raised the water temp to 140 degrees.

The temp boost in the main wash is to get greasy dishes, pots, pans and utensils clean, as well as to weaken, soften and loosen stubborn food residue.

The final rinse runs longer than normal - about 20 minutes or more. The reason being is to to expose the load to the hot steamy powerful water jets for a longer period which destroys germs and bacteria that may be on the load, according to top health officials. Bacteria die in water temps as low as 140 degrees as long as the load is power-rinsed in this water temp fo at least 20 minutes or more. This process leaves the load virtually germ-free.

During the dry portion of all cycles, a motorize vent opens to allow the steam to escape from the tub - somewhat similar to forced air drying - which machines used to have. But still, the dishes come out sparkling clean, spotless and bone dry!

I use those options mainly to kill bacteria and I use them all the time. In fact, I leave them set there to automatically heat the main wash and final rinse. It's great for helping to keep germs and bacteria at bay, especially if there are
family members in the household with colds.

And yes, I've also had that problem concerning water in the encaved bottoms of beer mugs. I try to tilt them as much as possible so that less water is there.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom