Dishwasher: is it a worthwhile investment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
urmaniac13 said:
So, I would like some second opinion from the folks who are accustomed to using the dishwashers, and see how they can be helpful or not. Will it be a good investment that would make your life somewhat easier, or things hasn't been changed at all from the days I battled with the stuff? Any input will be greatly appreciated!
TIA!!
urmaniac, taking things verbatim, I would be led to believe that you are interested to hear only from those who use dishwashers. In such a case, what would you expect them to tell you? Not to buy one?

On the other hand, since "any input will be greatly appreciated," let me side with Nicholas Mosher by stating that I consider dishwashers a total waste of space, money and time. If there could ever be a white elephant in one's kitchen, this is it! Even in our restaurant days, I found it preferable to have the dishes and especially glasses handwashed for best results. The basic disadvantages of dishwashing machines have been already mentioned by others. For me, the worst disadvantages are prewashing, having to wait until the machine is full in order to run it, having to wipe if you don't want to wait forever for things to dry, having to wash pots and pans by hand anyway, and pay a lot for energy consumption on top of the cost of the machine.

I also agree that being able to wash dishes etc, as I get them dirty and being able to reuse them soon is a definite advantage. Besides, only by handwashing I will be sure that I need to do the washing once and to my absolute satisfaction.

As for the "will it be a good investment," have no misunderstandings. No matter how you slice it, it is an expenditure of money which will beget further daily expenditure. Do you really think that any kitchen appliance would ever bring in some sort of return to qualify it for an investment?

Andy M. said:
OK, so you have two half size dishwashers...

What happens if you fill the dirty side before you empty the clean side?
Why, go for a third dishwasher of course!

Andy M. said:
OK, so you have two half size dishwashers...

What happens if you fill the dirty side before you empty the clean side?
The you wash the dirty side and move the stuff in the clean side to the cabinets.

We have a KA dishwasher that is now12 years old. You can stand next to it and almost not know it is running.
It is an enamel steel interior (I recommend SS) and it costs about $350--even now. You don't have to break the bank.
We are only two at home and I may wash dishes every other day, depending on what kind of cooking I've been doing.
Anodized cookware cannot be put in the DW. Most SS can.
I put my fine china in (with a gold rim) but cut the dish soap 'way down. Dishwasher soap is VERY strong. If any of your china is the type that does not have a glaze over the design (some or most antique china is this) do not put in DW.
Etching glass has more to do with water hardness. None of our glasses are, but my sister's are. She has to drastically soften their water.
For me, a DW is an incredible time saver. We had 30 for dinner the other day. That is a LOT of glassware to wash and dry by hand. Plates, silverware. It took a couple of loads, but I could go watch the football game while I was waiting.

urm, most newer models do run quietly, but even a quiet machine can be noisy, depending on the way it is installed.

if not levelled and anchored properly, they can be annoying buzz boxes. be very careful to have one installed correctly.

I will jump in here.... my 10 cents for anyone who cares. I own a dishwasher and I find myself more and more washing dishes by hand. My dishwasher is about 5 years old and I have already had to replace the handle on it because it broke off. (I did this myself because they wanted to charge me an $80 service call just to come out and replace a $8 part!!)

As others have stated, I wash all pots, pans, bake ware, and a few other items by hand. Dishwashers just ruin that stuff!!!! Now, I am finding myself handwashing all my glass ware because everytime I wash them in the dishwasher, they end up with grit and grime in the bottom of the glasses. I even run my dishwasher on a rinse cycle empty to help prevent this, but it never seems to work.

Maybe I got a lemon... I just don't know. But it is noisey, does not clean very well, and really expected a bit more for a "middle of the line" dishwasher. I guess the thing is, if I never got another dishwasher, what would I use that space for?????

If you would ask me if I would get a dishwaser, I would have to decline at the moment!!! :LOL:

sattie said:
I guess the thing is, if I never got another dishwasher, what would I use that space for?????

If you would ask me if I would get a dishwaser, I would have to decline at the moment!!! :LOL:
How about a litter box for the kitty? Perhaps a mini shoe rack? Or maybe a home for an iguana?

As for "declining," it's perhaps a good investment after all!:LOL:

Hmm, so I am not the only one with bad experiences with dishwasher! Now I have something more to consider that I am seeing some "con" views. Maybe we will pay more attention to user reviews when we look around for one, to get some firsthand opinions of certain makes and models...

urmaniac13 said:
Hmm, so I am not the only one with bad experiences with dishwasher! Now I have something more to consider that I am seeing some "con" views. Maybe we will pay more attention to user reviews when we look around for one, to get some firsthand opinions of certain makes and models...

What brands will you look at in your town? I know a site that has some pretty good reviews of Miele and Bosch.

urmaniac13, YES you should have a dishwasher. I would recommend Kitchen Aid. Have had the same one for many, many years. No problems. You may choose not to use it daily. If you need to use it (and you will) you want a
Kitchen Aid Dishwasher (one will do).

Miele and Bosch are both under consideration we will take further look on their reviews..., also Krupps and Meplan seem to carry some decent models at reasonable price. Still there are other choices, we are planning to have a visit to a shop in an industrial zone of Rome where they specializes in equipment for restaurants and catering and check on some items first hand.

Here's my pennysworth: I insisted, being the cook and the main bottle washer by default rather than design, that we would have a dishwasher. One was bought and really I have to say it has made a lot of difference to our lives. Sounds an exaggeration but... I cook with no concern for how much washing up I create, we don't argue about the washing up any more and hence I get less niggled about other grievances (every couple has them, admit it), we have more time for doing other things and we even use less water than before.

If you can find it, use gel or liquid rather than the tablets or powder detergents. Gel is far less abrasive. And if you can find them, use the funny triangle "protectors" as they're called here in Spain rather than tablets that are supposed to incorporate a glass protector. I find the so-called advanced tablets are much worse than gel with "protector". I put our finest glass (Villeroy Bosch glasses) in the dishwasher with gel and protector. So far I've never had a glass go milky with these products and we break far fewer glasses anyway than we would if we washed them up and dried them by hand.

I hardly ever pre-rinse, only the crustiest of dishes. I agree about not putting non-stick stuff in a dishwasher. You'll probably find things in the top rack receive a gentler wash than the bottom rack, so arrange things accordingly.

Keep the filter clean and you'll keep the pump running quietly and the dishes cleaner.

As a final comment, we're moving somewhere in the next few months with no electricity, let alone a kitchen. My partner said the other day, "I'll really miss the dishwasher", so it must be good.

I own a Maytag portable dishwasher - had it for over 6 years and it has done very well by me.

And I've always used Cascade detergent. It powers off stubborn food residue with no problems! Also, I've used either jet Dry or Cascade rinse agent for the final rinse.

The filter is self-cleaning, so there's no need to clean it manually. And it's also very quiet. Prerinsing is a thing of the past! I also like the fact that it can be set to heat the main wash and final rinse to wash and sanitise the dishes better!!

Love mine!
It's a Kenmore model from Sears that I've had for about 10 years now.
I've never had any mechanical problems or kitchen disasters with it, but it is a bit loud. When it bites the dust, I'll make sure that I purchase a quieter model.

Have lived with and without a dishwasher and I must say, life is much more comvenient and easier with one. Our current one is a Jenn-Air that we lucked out with at a local thrift store for $15. After calling the company for an operator's manual, we learned - using serial number - that the machine had been a floor model in an appliance store, so it'd had little or no use. Lucky us.

At any rate, it's been a champ and does a wonderful job. Even though it's just Buck and me here, it's still a great help. As others have said, with a heat dry, it also has the option of air drying to save energy.

I never put our "good" china or glassware in it because most of those pieces are antiques. Any dishwasher wouldn't be good for them. I also don't put my cookware and kitchen knives in the dishwasher. Just not good for them either.

As for not having one, that time was a challenge. Whenever we had company or served a multiple-course meal, there were many plates, cups, bowls, serving pieces, etc. that had to be washed. Then there was the silverware and glassware. I'm not including any of the pots, pans, dishes, and utensils used to prepare the meal. I religiously wash as I go, so there's usually little or nothing of those items to worry about by the time the meal is served. However, washing all the dishes by hand after the meal was tiresome and time consuming.

Wouldn't be without a dishwasher. Now...haven't had a garbage disposal in nearly 13 years and haven't missed it once.

Corey123 said:
I believe that they are ALL made to operate quieter these days.

I hope they are Corey,
I live in a rather small home where the kitchen/dining and living area are all contained in a 24'x28' space. When I start the dishwasher, the TV or stereo level must increase rather dramatically to heard:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom