Dough maker vs. stand mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I have left Taiwan and am moving back to Shanghai. I decide to part with my wonderful Kitchen Aid mixer because SH is 220v and the inverter that I was using (was a rather expensive one) was causing the motor to run irregularly :( Sad...I will miss you my dear KA! :(

I have noticed the emergence of a new (at least new to me) appliance called a dough maker that sells for about 1/3 of the price of a new stand mixer (not a KA :( ) I am talking about something that looks like this: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=...li_trackid=1_a317e054df3280c84cbbe6685a63ee4a

I used my KA to make cake batter, cookie dough, bread dough, frosting, mashed potatoes and other veggies, gravy, hmmm lots of stuff.

My guess is that a dough maker works at a limit number of speeds - maybe even one, and that one speed is relatively low. A dough maker probably cannot substitute for a stand mixer but a stand mixer would substitute for a dough maker. Am I right?

Do dough makers do their things well enough to warrant both a dm and stand mixer?

Last edited:
KA makes a 7 quart (5KSM7591XE***) which is equipped with a 230V motor.
CharlieD might get a kick out of this website-
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-oGACA&usg=AFQjCNFFa0uAfQ8vlODQaQ9TM0jr3ug6XA

The problem with single phase electricity in particular is whether it is 50Hz or 60Hz. Our 60Hz, 230v, single phase has two power legs of approx. 120v each and doesn't generally require neutral. European 50Hz, 220v, single phase has one power leg of 220v and a neutral leg. Who knows what the power supply might be where he is moving.

His use of an inverter probably indicates the power supply was different, but adaptable with issues. Where he is moving to may have a power supply that won't allow any adaptation to use his KA.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom