Dual fuel or all gas convection range?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pms1228

Assistant Cook
I am in the process of investigating the purchase of a new freestanding range. I need a 30".
I have (almost) decided on the Dacor Millenium ($3500) which is gas cooktop and electric convection oven however I have never had an electric oven. I have heard them are better for people who do a lot of baking, which I don't. I use the oven mainly for meats, casseroles, etc.
Does electric provide an advantage in an oven if you are using it for other than baked goods?
I want a self cleaning oven and really don't want a Viking or Wolf as they look too institutional for my decor.
Thanks in advance
Paula

The fuel for your oven will make little difference in home cooking or baking. A gas oven produces a moister heat than electric and that can have a slight effect on some baking recipes.

We have an all gas stove and self-cleaning oven and SO and I bake a lot and have experienced no issues.

Also, where we live, electricity is a great deal more expensive than gas.

Whichever you choose you'll be fine.

Dacor makes a fine product (I have a fridge) but their customer service is a bit lacking. As you describe your cooking, the main concern will be cost of running your oven. What is consistently cheaper in your area, gas or electric energy? (Not that a home oven runs up the $$ that much. How often do you anticipate running the cleaning cycle? for example.)

I have a dual fuel with electric convection. But I've done lots of cooking with gas ovens too. Frankly, it's a toss up for me.

When the power goes off, your gas cooktop can be used, but your oven, electric or gas, can't. It's a safety measure they build in.

I'd go electric with the oven.

And as much as I like gas cooktops, I'd seriously consider an induction cooktop. They're amazing if you have compatible cookware.

Back
Top Bottom