Electric Kettle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have one and I love it for tea. It boils water faster than my stove or microwave.

Edit: I am not sure what brand mine is though.

i boil water in the microwave. just use glass measuring cup for the amount and hit high for about five minutes. if large amount of water is needed just use a larger measuring cup.

babe:chef:

but boiling in the nuker can be a weeeee bit on the dangerous side...all it takes is a slosh of boiling liquid to ruin the next 30min of your day. Just my opinion...

I agree...but for some, , handling an at boil cup of water(or anything) out of a microwave, especially one of those above the stove units, can be a disaster. A hot pot is self contained, easily transported, and GREAT for when making a pot of any steeped tea or coffee or what ever. One of those true "set it and forget it" kitchen tools.

I agree...but for some, , handling an at boil cup of water(or anything) out of a microwave, especially one of those above the stove units, can be a disaster. A hot pot is self contained, easily transported, and GREAT for when making a pot of any steeped tea or coffee or what ever. One of those true "set it and forget it" kitchen tools.

How does that differ?
I have an above the stove microwave. Are they more dangerous?

oh jees...this does not need to be debated...say you were 76yo, you were 5ft2in, and wanted a cup of tea...do you want to reach up and in for an uncovered, more then likely hot handled vessel of scalding liquid, or grab a fully contained hot water pitcher that you can put your cup next to, and pour?

I guess it is a matter of preference. There is no debate that I know of stating the safety facts of "above counter mics", and it isn't a matter of that...

It sounds like it's more of a coordination problem then, and not one of where your microwave is located. I wasn't trying to start a debate :huh:
I can tell you that my under the counter/over the stove microwave is a lot easier to get things in and out of, being right there at chest level and easy to see in, than when I had a microvave on a dedicated microwave stand at waist level.

OK, I know I'm late but my two cents is that I love my electric kettle because of its auto shut off feature. I had a wee problem with boiling kettles dry before I got this one. :blush:

Its nice to have the kettle that you can remove from the base too. Its not a huge expense, but really the only advantage is the auto shut off IMO. It boils faster on the stove. LOL.

Tip for you is to use only distilled water in your kettle to avoid the scale build up. (Although a vinegar soak removes it all very quickly I don't like the lingering flavour of vinegar in my kettle...messes up the tea!)

Hmm if the only advantage is the auto shut off then that would not mean much to me. I have never once let anything boil dry. I have never even come close.

Thats the only advantage I really see. Unless you are in a place where you only have electrical outlets and not a stove? Then it would be a better choice.

IMO, if I weren't the sort of person who routinely trashed kettles on the stove, I would have stuck with that method. Its faster.

The pot is cordless, but the base it sits on has a cord. The old style did not have a base. The cord was attached to the pitcher.

We find the electric kettkles are much faster - we use a stovetop kettle in our caravan.

You can get electric kettles over here with a keep warm button which keeps the water hot if you don't want to use it straight away. We had one which we then lost in the fire and it worked really well - especially for keeping the water to the same temperature when I was making bread.

Back
Top Bottom