Electric oven-how to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've resided in ony TWO apartments that had an electric range / oven. They worked OK, but I prefer a gas stove.

I may have to move to a low-income apt. before or by this spring, and the apartment that I move to might have another electric stove, since most newer apartments now come with electric stoves.

On advantage, I forgot to mention, for electric ovens over gas ones, is that they won't heat up your kitchen in the summer, like a gas oven will. Simply because a gas oven has to have oxygen for the fire to work.

On advantage, I forgot to mention, for electric ovens over gas ones, is that they won't heat up your kitchen in the summer, like a gas oven will. Simply because a gas oven has to have oxygen for the fire to work.
That's not true at all. As a matter of fact I use the oven to heat the house. This weekend it was 68 outside and 78 inside to the point I had to turn on my air conditioning in WINTER. Not sure where you heard that, as you indicated very little experience with electric, but I've used my oven as a heater for many many years. There's a heat release "spout" of sorts that comes up out the back burner where heat escapes. It definitely heats the house!

Wow using the oven to heat up the house...Now that's something I haven't heard of before!!!!!But you r right...if you use them for a while they do heat up the place.My kitchen does get warm after continous use.

I was advised to get an oven thermometer on this post earlier.......so I got myself a thermometer this weekend.I would like to know what is the right way to use the thermometer.Do I turn the oven on and place it inside right away or put it in later ? Should it be in the oven throughout the baking?????...........Not sure how it is to be done. Need some help please!!!!!!!

That's not true at all. As a matter of fact I use the oven to heat the house. This weekend it was 68 outside and 78 inside to the point I had to turn on my air conditioning in WINTER. Not sure where you heard that, as you indicated very little experience with electric, but I've used my oven as a heater for many many years. There's a heat release "spout" of sorts that comes up out the back burner where heat escapes. It definitely heats the house!

You've obviously had to have had the door open for heat. If you had a heater on your stove, then that would be a horse of a different color.

When you use the oven to cook something, most of the heat stays inside the oven.

Very little experience? I've lived in an all-electric-powered apt. for three years, meaning that the stove was electric as well. And there were no vents to expel any heat on the appliance. But I lived in another apt. for a year that had an electric stove.

Maybe that has changed in today's world, but back then, there weren't any.
Also, electric stoves seem to have more insullation then gas ones - hence their minimal heat exposure when the door is closed.

The apt. that I'm presently, has a gas stove with a heater in it. But now, I've heard that even THAT has been outlawed, possibly for safety reasons.

Last edited:
You've obviously had to have had the door open for heat. If you had a heater on your stove, then that would be a horse of a different color.

When you use the oven to cook something, most of the heat stays inside the oven.

Very little experience? I've lived in an all-electric-powered apt. for three years, meaning that the stove was electric as well. And there were no vents to expel any heat on the appliance. But I lived in another apt. for a year that had an electric stove.

Maybe that has changed in today's world, but back then, there weren't any.
Also, electric stoves seem to have more insullation then gas ones - hence their minimal heat exposure when the door is closed.

The apt. that I'm presently, has a gas stove with a heater in it. But now, I've heard that even THAT has been outlawed, possibly for safety reasons.
Corey, I've heated three different apartments and one duplex with electric ovens over the span of the last 15 years. Sorry, but I know what I'm talking about REGARDLESS of what you claim to know and believe (see the perils of baking cookies this weekend, that wasn't because after 6 hours of the oven being on the house was cold).

I have central air and heat (don't know what a "heater on the oven" is supposed to be) and an electric oven. This weekend just to keep the house cool the air conditioning was on set at 65 but the temp was still reading 78 degrees in the house BECAUSE THE OVEN WAS ON.

I don't know where you got the idea that electric ovens don't put off heat to the house but whoever told you that lied. I've never had to have the door open to use the oven as a "heater" to warm the kitchen in the winter. And a pot on the back burner will actually boil water because that's where the excess heat escapes. If heat could not escape, the oven would blow open. When heat builds, some must escape or the heat would keep building and food would be over cooked.

Are you sure you aren't confusing confection ovens with regular electric ovens?

BTW ~ fleur agreed with me that an electric oven will warm up the house.

Last edited:
No, I'm not confusing convection ovens with regular electric ones.

Heater on the stove means a gas stove that has a seprate burner in a side chamber for heat in the winter.

Well regardless, you're still completely wrong about electric ovens and their ability to heat a house. Would you like a picture of the vent pipe?

Maybe you should post a picture of what you mean because it makes no sense.

Come on, stop already. Why are you dragging this on and beating up on a dead horse? Yes, show a pic of the vent pipe, if you like.

I said what I had to say, now let it go.Stop disputing me. I know what happened. You hate to be told when you're wrong.

The electric stoves that I've used had no vent pipe for heating. End of story.

Last edited:
Okay, y'all! My oven makes my kitchen/house quite warm when I use it. I have a gas cooktop and an electric oven, both of which were purchased and installed in 2000. They are not dinosaurs when it comes to technology.

Now, as far as "heating," my oven definitely can heat. There is a large vent just below the oven door. There is a fan and the excess heat is dispelled through that vent. When the oven is on for prolonged periods of time, especially in the wintertime, it's not unusual for me to see a pile of kitty cats asleep in front of the vent.

On occasion, I'll turn my oven to a high temp, let it heat up and let it heat up the kitchen. I'll even get crazy and open the oven door.

Ok. You are more than likely right about that!

Callisto keeps on disputing me. I imagine that she's talking about today's technology, like you've just explained about yours.

Electric stoves that I've used in the past didn't have that. And that's why I was saying that as long as the door stayed closed, there was no heat coming from the oven. Things probably are different today, I'm not doubting that, but not back then.

The last electric stove that I used didn't have that feature, as it more than likely was a much older model.:ermm:

Last edited:
I have always had old electric stoves and they all had a vent and put out heat. Katie, I know what you mean about the cats. It is like a cat magnet :LOL:

Ok. You are more than likely right about that!

Callisto keeps on disputing me. I imagine that he's talking about today's technology, like you've just explained about yours.

Electric stoves that I've used in the past didn't have that. And that's why I was saying that as long as the door stayed closed, there was no heat coming from the oven. Things probably are different today, I'm not doubting that, but not back then.

The last electric stove that I used didn't have that feature, as it more than likely was a much older model.:ermm:
Who keeps disputing who. I gave my experience, which others backed, but you kept insisting that an electric oven did not heat the house. So who's disputing who? And are you talking about STOVES or OVENS? An oven in the thing you bake in. A stove is the thing you fry an egg on.

My ovens have never had the fan that Katie's had, they have all had the pipe vent that goes up through a back burner. And it is by far and large not new technology. My first apartment that had it I occupied in 1985. The oven now is new but it's got the same vent pipe.

The original point is now and always has been the same, you are incorrect that electric ovens do not heat up the house. Period. Others agree with me yet you are the one still beating the horse and making excuses why I'm wrong and I'm the one who's lived with electric all my apartment renting life.

And I'M A FEMALE. Callisto is the name of a constilation, she was turned into said constillation because she was Zeus' lover. And I'm posting the picture tonight.

Sorry about the mixup over you being a female.

But as far as the topic goes, you can stick a fork in me, please. - I'm done. I don't want to get into this any more.

Last edited:
Talk about a tempest in a teapot! I can't even remember what the OP's question was to begin with. A very entertaining debate though.

Corey, since it seems to be a while since you've used an electric stove take everyone's word for it, there is a vent from the oven chamber out the back right burner. Possibly when you had an electric oven they didn't have that, or you didn't notice it.

Glad you've both decided to stop the debate. It seems like you were both "heating up" quite a bit and might be getting your feelings hurt. Perhaps if you DO continue this you will take it to PMs? Thanks all.

Perhaps it all depends on the model of the oven.
I think most ovens probably vent to the outside; at least that
is what the government recommends. They also advise to NOT
use an oven for heating purposes.

Talk about a tempest in a teapot! I can't even remember what the OP's question was to begin with. A very entertaining debate though.

Seriously!!!!!I started this thread because I was new to electric ovens and wanted tips on how to use them correctly!!!!!!!!!But a debate kind of started in between which dragged on I should say!!!!!!!Hope a truce is called now!!!!!!!

Well, fleur, regardless of the little "dust up" that occurred, you still got a lot of good information and seem to have gained confidence in using your oven. Good for you. In a few months you'll be an expert. Keep on, keepin' on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom