Electric Skillets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heat

Senior Cook
I need help in finding a quality brand and heavy steel Electric Skillet. Mine went out on me a couple of months ago and i miss it!! It was giving to me by my mom it was an old Westinghouse. Does anyone have any ideas to where i can find a good one? I love to fry chicken and make all kinds of things in it. Other fellow users i could use some good recipes for my new skillet too. hahaha Thanks!! Dont forget to vote 5 stars for DC!!

Last edited:
Why don't you check ebay Heat? That way you can look at everything on the market and decide what kind you want.

You might even get lucky and find one of those rare cast iron electric skillets.

Thanks !!

Thanks Chocolatechef! Thats a great idea! I would love to have a cast iron one!! Woooo Hoo. I will check it out! thanks again!:)

Just something to think about, Heat ....

For an electric skillet you might want to think about getting one that is thick aluminum. Aluminum is a better conductor of heat than cast iron .. steel falls somewhere inbetween but closer to cast iron. This means that if you need to increase the heat, it will come up to temp faster, if you need to lower the heat it will cool off and come down to temp faster.

Ironically, cast iron does it's voodoo because it is a poor heat conductor. It's slow to heat up, slow to cool down, thus it retains heat very well. That's one reason a cast iron skillet is so good for frying chicken ... the pan temp doesn't drop as much when you add the chicken.

For an electric skillet you need something a little more responsive. That is why nonstick aluminum would be my first choice.

Mom used to have one - think it was a Sunbeam - but I've never owned one.

Last edited:
i am going camping with my family next week and I am wondering if you can cook cornbread in an electric skillet... We are carrying the electric skillet and crock pot for quick meals that can cook all day and i was wondering if anyone has tried that?

I dont know if anyone is interested in electric grills / skillet but I have the cuisenart one that is two sided, long nonstick and OMG let me tell you it is the best thing I have ever owned, so easy to use and clean cooks wonderfully

CookSource said:
I dont know if anyone is interested in electric grills / skillet but I have the cuisenart one that is two sided, long nonstick and OMG let me tell you it is the best thing I have ever owned, so easy to use and clean cooks wonderfully
I was looking at the Cuisenart site today and saw that. I'm glad to know someone has a good review of it.

Mimi820 said:
i am going camping with my family next week and I am wondering if you can cook cornbread in an electric skillet... We are carrying the electric skillet and crock pot for quick meals that can cook all day and i was wondering if anyone has tried that?

You could certainly make Hoe Cakes, which would be just as good as cornbread, maybe even better! Here's a scratch recipe, but I think you could also use Jiffy Mix and just thin the batter with a little more milk.
I have a friend who puts Jiffy Mix in her waffle iron. I've never tried it, but I'll bet it's good.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,164,145185-248193,00.html

Corey123 said:
Try looking into getting a Rival or Presto.

They're very good.

~Corey123.
Rival is my favorite brand. I have several of their appliances and they have not given me a bit of trouble.

Check Amazon.

They have the Farberware 12-inch stainless for $85, and the Cuisinart 12" X 15" oval nonstick for $100. Prices include shipping and there's no tax.

These's two both have the highest ratings by users on Amazon.

Sephora said:
Rival is my favorite brand. I have several of their appliances and they have not given me a bit of trouble.

So do I.

I own two of their slow cookers that I had for over 20 years! And I also own the Rival BBQ Pit Crock Pot Countertop Slow Cooker as well.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
So do I.

I own two of their slow cookers that I had for over 20 years! And I also own the Rival BBQ Pit Crock Pot Countertop Slow Cooker as well.

~Corey123.
I've got two slow cookers also, their countertop roaster that I bought so I don't have to use the two slow cookers for chili, a griddle that is my second because it was obviously such a covetted item my movers stole my first one, and their fondue pot. Basically if Rival makes it, I'll buy their model first.

I, also, thought about getting and electric griddle, but I never did.

I got a non-electric long one that can be used on the stove. It's reversible. One side can be used for eggs, bacon, sausages, French toast and pancakes, while the other side can be used for hamburgers and steaks.

~Corey123.

I have a 14 inch Farberware electric skillet that was given to me as a wedding shower gift 46 years ago. It still does a great job of frying and braising. It's stainless steel and isn't non stick but still nothing ever sticks to it. It's immersable and still shines after all these years. Stay away from a non-stick electric, you won't be happy with the results. You can't get that great "fond" on the bottom of your pan with non-stick plus it just doesn't cook as well. Farberware is a good name so I trust it.

I own a 13-inch Rival electric skillet. It's also immersible, has a removable heat control and has a tough heat-free break-resistant plastic cover

It's non-stick, but it hassn't shown any wearing off of the Teflon coating! I've had it for about 13 years or so.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
I, also, thought about getting and electric griddle, but I never did.

I got a non-electric long one that can be used on the stove. It's reversible. One side can be used for eggs, bacon, sausages, French toast and pancakes, while the other side can be used for hamburgers and steaks.

~Corey123.
With my electric stove, I have issues. The first griddle was a gift that I fell in love with. When I moved it didn't make it with the rest of my stuff and I had to replace it. My daughter has been able to use that better than she would a pan on the stove because it's heat is regulated and the sides are cool to the touch. In our house it works well and we have it out almost every weekend.

Corey123 said:
So is it ok now?

~Corey123.
My stove? No, it sucks. It works just enough that the landlord doesn't have to replace it, but not well enough to trust it with actual cooking. I have to make sure the burners are in everytime I use it or I'll put a pot of water on to boil and come back 15 minutes later and it's still the temp I started with. I wish I knew how to kill it and make it look like an accident.

Back
Top Bottom