Electric Steamer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VitaWright

Cook
Any recommendations for electric steamers? I am looking at an Oster right now. I like the ones that do everything and not just veggies. Some work as a rice cooker as well. For veggies I normally just use a little insert in a pot but I think I would like to try an actual appliance. Anyone have any experience with these?

Vita

I have an Oster that has a rice insert. I've never used it for rice but I use it for veggies all the time. I've had it for about 10 years and it's still going strong! If it were to quit, I'd definately buy another one.

Forgive my ignorance, but why would you want an electronic appliance that boils water to create steam when this can be done quite easily on the stove.

Not having a go, just wondering what special features make it worthwhile over just boiling water.

Good question, Knight.

My guess, if it is anything like my electric pressure cooker it has a timer. That is why I love my electric PC even though they aren't mainstream. I set it to cook for 30 minutes and it doesn't start counting down until the pressure has built up. Then, after 30 minutes of cooking it shuts down and goes to "warm".

That's just a guess though, as I was wondering the same thing. :)
I suppose I could Google it and see what they're all about.

my sister got one, used it for a long time, begged me to allow her to give me one as a gift - and i refused...now hers sits in the garage. you CAN use your stove instead

Good question, Knight.

My guess, if it is anything like my electric pressure cooker it has a timer. That is why I love my electric PC even though they aren't mainstream. I set it to cook for 30 minutes and it doesn't start counting down until the pressure has built up. Then, after 30 minutes of cooking it shuts down and goes to "warm".

That's just a guess though, as I was wondering the same thing. :)
I suppose I could Google it and see what they're all about.

I was thinking it would be a timer as well, but really who doesn't have a timer in their kitchen already?

Is there some other benefit?

Edit>

I just did a quick google. The general benefits of one of these are the timer, a rice basket and possibly a keep warm option.

Whilst I guess this can easily be achieved on the stove, I can see the benefit of cooking both your rice and vegetables at the same time, whilst freeing up room on the stove.

Just a quick question though, how does steemed rice turn out vs regular boiled rice? Any differences or pretty much the same.

Last edited:
I just used mine for rice for the 1st time tonight.... i've had it for about 10 years and only used it for veggies so far.
I like it instead of the stove simply because I think for veggies it's much lower maintenance. Crank the timer and walk away. I always manage to over-cook veggies steamed on the stove, the microwave leaves too many hot / cold spots.
Plus in the summer I can plug it in outside and not heat up the house with the stove.
Oh yeah and it's a Sunbeam.

haha just saw your edit!!
I thought the rice was ok, I'm not used to it. It was sticky like you get at a Chinese restaurant. But not different enough for me to not do it again.

Everyone wants to know why I am looking at electric steamers instead of just using my stove.

I do use my stove but I was attracted to the amount of space inside an electric. I liked the fact that other foods work well in a steamer as well. Things like meats and seafood that you probably would never steam on your stovetop. And I like the set and forget option of an electric steamer. I am always paranoid on my stovetop that I am going to ruin my cookware by boiling all the water away. Stupid, I know. Anyway, just looking into them still. Thanks for all the comments though. Keep 'em coming.

Vita

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom