Electric Tea Kettle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chef_corey

Assistant Cook
Howdy,

MY roommate drinks tea every morning. Since her birthday is in 2 weeks, i thought of buying her an electric tea kettle. My mother uses one and she has often told me how much she loves it.

If you use one of these that you love, could you please recommend a brand or model that I can look into. Preferably, I would like to get one in which the "thermos" or kettle is removable from a stationary base.

Thanks everyone!

C.

This is the one item Ive been turned on to while living in the UK! Everyone here has an electric kettle! I know Ive seen them in California, but I dont know where you are. Bed Bath and Beyond sells them, and I'm sure somewhere online. Sorry I cant suggest a model to buy!

A friend of ours just bought a great Krups one at Linens 'n' Things within the last couple of weeks. Don't know if the pot was insulated, but he got an awesome buy. I think it was on sale for about $30. He's very pleased with it.

I miss my kettle!

Having had several brands and styles of keetles over the years all I suggest is a limscale filter on the spout is vital, and yes, cordless on a base is best, more practical. A smoother design is best for easy wiping and cleaning (it is amazing how grubby the handles and fiddly bits can get, yuk,) but other than that really price or design are the only factors. We have a few kettles knocking about (updated for stryle more than anything else) the ones that cost about a tenner are still going strong but the more expensize ones are certainly more stylish. In all seriousness, they are preety durable and reliable things. The main thing is to watch out for the limescale buildup, and never boil it dry!

The other bonus of kettles, if the green marketing in UK is to be believed, and I am sure it is!, is that it costs less to boil a kettle than boil a saucepan, with the same amount of water. It is certainly quicker. By the time I have made my tea, without a saucepan these days, I have gone off the whole idea, lol

So, find one that you think is attractive and within your budget. They are great.

Here's what mine looks like - I love it!!!
I got it at WalMart for between 20 and 30 dollars.

Make sure to get the biggest capacity you can find.
Mine's a GE 1500 watt with a 10-cup capacity.
It's stainless steel and it's cordless and heats up pretty quick.
It automatically shuts off and has a catchall screen.

Your roommate will really appreciate such a thoughtful gift!

Last edited:
The Krups is good, but so is the Braun, and the Braun is prettier!
5634385_125.jpg

I can comment with great authority on this particular topic as I have destroyed MANY kettles.

I currently own an auto shut off Proctor Silex that is removable from its base. It was about $40 or $50 but worth every penny. The top opens completely so it is easy to clean (important for removing scale build up), and there is a little screen to catch anything that might have fallen into the kettle when you pour the water out.

Love it and will buy another one when I kill this one. Its going on 2 years now so thats pretty much a record in MY house.

Alix, what do you do to them??? I have one from when I was a student (its now in my parent's potting shed, lol,) going strong almost ten years later!

My mother burns them out too, but not at the rate of every two years!

lulu, I won't go into all the various ways I have killed kettles but a couple of them include putting an electric kettle on for tea and then forgetting about it and going for a shower. Boiling dry for a while is hard on those babies. The stovetop ones have suffered melting episodes. I melted the plasticy lid thing into one, and then the one WITHOUT the plasticy lid I nearly welded to the element as I ran down to do laundry and then forgot about. OOPS. The auto shut off feature is VERY important around here.

Alix said:
lulu, I won't go into all the various ways I have killed kettles but a couple of them include putting an electric kettle on for tea and then forgetting about it and going for a shower. Boiling dry for a while is hard on those babies. The stovetop ones have suffered melting episodes. I melted the plasticy lid thing into one, and then the one WITHOUT the plasticy lid I nearly welded to the element as I ran down to do laundry and then forgot about. OOPS. The auto shut off feature is VERY important around here.

If our insurance agent is reading this.....JUST KIDDING! That Alix, such a kidder. :whistling

FOFL. an automatic shut off for boil dry is useful, and seems to be standard on newer kettles...or have I just been lucky?

Ken, you are mistaken, I am not talking to YOUR Alix but another Alix I know from Edmonton.....there are quite few of them ;)

I use what I've always used for years to heat a cup of water for instant coffee or tea - the microwave oven.

Well, at least for coffee until I got a new coffee maker for free.

jkath said:

Here's what mine looks like - I love it!!!
I got it at WalMart for between 20 and 30 dollars.

Make sure to get the biggest capacity you can find.
Mine's a GE 1500 watt with a 10-cup capacity.
It's stainless steel and it's cordless and heats up pretty quick.
It automatically shuts off and has a catchall screen.

Your roommate will really appreciate such a thoughtful gift!

Same one that we have and love it! The water boils in no time at all. Well worth the investment of $20-$30

Corey123 said:
I use what I've always used for years to heat a cup of water for instant coffee or tea - the microwave oven.

Well, at least for coffee until I got a new coffee maker for free.

This works for most of us, but if your married to a brit as I am, he likes his tea boiled in a kettle, there is no changing him on that idea :LOL:

I have never figured out the passion for these things. Just one more thing on the counter - which makes me crazy. My sister in law loves hers though. Can't remember the brand -

Caine said:
Which coffee service did you sign up for?

Now it just came to me - since you asked! I thought for a while that Philllips had just started making appliances and they make the Senseo Coffee Maker.
It's been out for at least about two years or more now.

That's the one that I got for free. The co. was holding special a campain near a mall in Cambridge to get people to own and try the machine for nothing.

You had to have brought your old drip coffee maker there in exchange for the new machine. Only, the day that I went there, I was already too late, as other people had also heard about it and just came out of the woodwork in droves to get a free machine!

So I had to wait to get one delivered through the mail. It uses the coffee pods, and they are expensive!

It makes a pretty decent cup of Joe in either one cup, two cups or a mug.
It also whips the coffee as it is brewed to make it look and taste like capachino.

Last edited:
amber said:
This works for most of us, but if your married to a brit as I am, he likes his tea boiled in a kettle, there is no changing him on that idea :LOL:

I am also a Brit living in the US and couldn't wait to buy an electric kettle. I don't know how you guys live without one. My wife took some convincing at first (she's a Brooklyn gal) but now she uses it all the time too! It's quick and easy and you can switch it on and walk away to do anything else you need to do and it clicks off when boiled. Perfect for the workday morning when you're rushing around to get ready!
As for make it's a Proctor Silex I bought in Macys or JC Pennys or some such place for around $30.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom