Fastest way to shape burgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlietyrell

Assistant Cook
Hey all,

I am starting a small gourmet burger restaurant and was wondering if anybody knew the quickest and least messy way to shape burgers? Currently we are shaping them by hand, but it is taking too much time. Any ideas welcome!

:chef:

I suppose it depends on the type of restaurant that you are operating. If the main concern is speed and price then I would go with preformed meat patties from your local restaurant supplier. If you are trying for something a little more up market then I would stick with hand formed burgers and adjust the prices a little.

I portion the meat with a Volrath #8 four ounce gray handled disher and then flatten and form them by hand.

051041.jpg

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm looking for something that still has that handmade/rustic look without being as commercial as the automatic machine

I put a pat onto a wax sheet and press until thin. Then rework the edges and stack as shown in the video.
Takes less than one minute per burger.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm looking for something that still has that handmade/rustic look without being as commercial as the automatic machine

I would use Aunt Bea's method then. Buy a scoop in whatever ounce size you want your burgers. That way you can portion without having to actually weigh. Do it assembly line style, all your scoops, then form the patties. That's how I portion out ravioli and pot sticker/dumpling fillings.

Last edited:
Or use the Smash Burger method.... Smash the scooped balls of ground beef with a spachula or other utensil as you place them on the hot griddle. The patties will not have that preformed look and shape. I love this method and use it all the time.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I am starting a small gourmet burger restaurant and was wondering if anybody knew the quickest and least messy way to shape burgers? Currently we are shaping them by hand, but it is taking too much time. Any ideas welcome!

Customers at a "gourmet" burger restaurant will absolutely demand hand-packed burgers

Or use the Smash Burger method.... Smash the scooped balls of ground beef with a spachula or other utensil as you place them on the hot griddle. The patties will not have that preformed look and shape. I love this method and use it all the time.
Agreed. This is a great method - saves time and the burgers get nice and browned :yum:

You've probably already seen this, tenspeed, since you're a fan of Serious Eats like me, but here's a great description for why they're so delicious: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html

This is what I was going to say. It works great unless you are grilling over an open flame. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My neighbor flattens out the ground beef to about an inch thick on a large baking sheet, then uses a stainless steel cylinder to cut out the patties in a way similar to cutting out biscuits or donuts from dough.

I also use the smash burger method. How thin you smash them is your choice. If you want the pink, meaty center, just don't smash them as much.

Now, as mentioned, the smash burger method doesn't work on a grill grate.

Also, CharlieTyrrel, are you grinding your own beef? If not, you may as well just buy the patties pre-made. But, I assume that, since these are gourmet burgers, you are grinding your own beef.

CD

My neighbor flattens out the ground beef to about an inch thick on a large baking sheet, then uses a stainless steel cylinder to cut out the patties in a way similar to cutting out biscuits or donuts from dough.

hmmm... That's interesting.. :)
For some reason, I'm not the greatest at hand forming patties.. I have just the right size cutter for our favorite small brioche buns...

Ross

Hey all,

How do you cook them, on the electric grill with the press or by putting the iron press on them?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom