Food processors: What should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forester7

Assistant Cook
Hello!

My wife and I have been making salsa for years and we are trying to find a food processor that will chop things like oinions and peppers without mashing and grinding them up. Is there anything out there that works really well. Nothing we have tried will work except the littel hand choppers seen often on TV. We make more than 10 gallons of salsa each year and we are tryign to make the process easier. Ideally, we would like something that also grates. If we have to, we don't mind buying 2 different things. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Both Cuisinart and Kitchen Aid make very good food processors.

However, if you want to end up with pieces rather than a bucket of mush, you have to process less. Do you use the pulse function?

I use the Cuisinart one.
Using the pulse function does give you some control over how much cutting you want to do, you won't get 'little squares', you'll get 'little triangles' but you can control the size of the final product as Andy M says.

The Cuisinart one also has a grating attachment, I use it for cheese and some veggies.

I couldn't live without it!

forester is that the only thing you want out of your food processor? (the ability to make salsa and grate)

I would stay away from Cuisinart because I have seen reviews where they have quality/safety issues. The blade breaking off through the plastic and flying through the room is what I am talking about, not that great!! Not everyone has this issue but it does happen from time to time.

Kitchenaid is good.

As Andy said you want to process less. With the Cuisinart or the Kitchenaid they will have the additional parts you want that will help you do that but you must only pulse it and not over process it.

btw I wrote this article which may help you, they are the top 10 things you will need to know when getting a new food processor..

Top 10 Things to Watch Out for When Buying a Food Processor

I hope this helps you!!

The blade breaking off through the plastic and flying through the room is what I am talking about, not that great!! Not everyone has this issue but it does happen from time to time.

Apparently, I'm one of the very few that have not had blades breaking off through the plastic and flying through the room.

For the rest of you and your loved ones that have died this way, let this be a memorial to their lives.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello!

My wife and I have been making salsa for years and we are trying to find a food processor that will chop things like oinions and peppers without mashing and grinding them up. Is there anything out there that works really well. Nothing we have tried will work except the littel hand choppers seen often on TV. We make more than 10 gallons of salsa each year and we are tryign to make the process easier. Ideally, we would like something that also grates. If we have to, we don't mind buying 2 different things. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

For us, there is only one food processor that is built to last: Magimix 5200. Ours is used in our brasserie's kitchen. It's a real work horse and is as tough as nails.

Apparently, I'm one of the very few that have not had blades breaking off through the plastic and flying through the room.

For the rest of you and your loved ones that have died this way, let this be a memorial to their lives.
:rolleyes:

loooooooooool.. am just saying.. out of all food processors those seemed to be the most likely to do it from reading the reviews??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom