Food Saver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Freezing Sealed in Jars

You can use the straight sided jars for freezing. They are marked can or freeze. Do not freeze any jars that curve in at the top of the jar they tend to break in the freezing process. My last shopping trip OSH had Pint and Half pint freeze and can jars and Half Gallon down to 8oz standard jars of just canning jars.

I prefer to use the jars for liquids in the freezer as they can be reused and it is a 1 step process.

Using Kenmore canisters w/FS

Corey, I found out that you can use the Kenmore canisters by simply putting the jar sealer over the center of the canister, then sealing as you would with a FS canister. Works great! I imagine it would work with the small jar sealer, too, but I haven't tried that.

I just bought my FS after looking at it for several weeks at Sam's. I've sealed my pastas, nuts, spices, rices, etc., and I love it!

Just thought I'd pass along the info about the Kenmore canisters.

Cindy

I don't have a food saver, as a matter of fact I don't even know what it is.
I am my own foodsaver since I cook what I eat most of the time.
When I make too much, I go the extra mile and eat it all at once, LOL

CindyWal said:
Corey, I found out that you can use the Kenmore canisters by simply putting the jar sealer over the center of the canister, then sealing as you would with a FS canister. Works great! I imagine it would work with the small jar sealer, too, but I haven't tried that.

I just bought my FS after looking at it for several weeks at Sam's. I've sealed my pastas, nuts, spices, rices, etc., and I love it!

Just thought I'd pass along the info about the Kenmore canisters.

Cindy

Seems quite strange, as you can use the Kenmore containers with the Tilia Food Savers, but you can't use the Tilia containers with the Kenmore unit!

I think that isn't fair. To me, that's just plain STUPID!!

Last edited:
Today I just bought a FS (Oster brand.) I'm so excited to use it!

Now I need advice as to how to use it on partially-used heavy cream and sour cream. Been reading previous posts advising that one should freeze liquids first. Not sure if I can do that in this case?

TIA!

I upgraded my FoodSaver to the V2490 and I am soooo in LOVE!!!!! I never thought I would say that about a kitchen tool, but I am very fond of my FoodSavers!!!

I've stopped using my Kenmore Food Saver.

I bought something else new on the market which I will explain about in a separate thread.

I am wanting to invest in a Food Saver. Seems everyone has one. Would you mind telling me what brand and how much it cost? Find more things that really are necessary and I don't have one. Do they take up a lot of room? My kitchen small. Probably has to be stored in basement if it is bulky like most of my things. Thanks Do they require certain kind of storage bags? Most importantly are they worth all this?

We purchased the Food Saver product when it first came out and it's been heaven sent, has never died on us yet. We purchase the same exact bags it needs even though there are other bags that say they will work with it they don't as we've tried them and they're a complete joke.

We do a lot of purchasing of food in bulk such as meats around summer for the winter months and in these parts of the country it really means a lot especially with driving for long range. I live in the mid west (Iowa) and currently we're dealing with very damaging weather that no one wants to drive in and the less hassle for driving the less trips and the less money we need to spend. It's easier to walk to a deep freezer that's 10 ft away than drive to the grocery store 10 to 20 minutes down the road.

Another thing that makes the product convenient is the fact being your food will be vacuum packed and free from freezer burn since it is no longer in freezer bags. We have had our Food Saver for many years however I believe when we purchased the item, it was approximately $100 to $120 on sale at our bulk food store.

As far as where it's being kept, I currently don't have a large kitchen or a lot of counter top room at the moment so it goes up on top of my refrigerator for now. It's out of the way and I can reach it easily plus since it doesn't get used all of the time I felt there was no sense in leaving it out all the time to take up space which I didn't have to begin with.

Good luck with your research!

Food Savers

I am wanting to invest in a Food Saver. Seems everyone has one. Would you mind telling me what brand and how much it cost? Find more things that really are necessary and I don't have one. Do they take up a lot of room? My kitchen small. Probably has to be stored in basement if it is bulky like most of my things. Thanks Do they require certain kind of storage bags? Most importantly are they worth all this?

The other postings pretty well cover the use, savings and advantages of a food saver. From your post I see one item that may take away from the use of the FS.
Storing in the basement would make it very hard to use it as most people do. It would be fine to bring it from the basement and seal up large grocery order.
However, I keep mine on the counter and I use it every day. If you have to keep it in another location, rather than on the counter, I would suggest a hand held that works with canisters. It would take up very little room and be there when you need it.

(See my other post)
I'm still looking for a Gallon jar that will take the regular large mouth canning lid.
I can never get the zip lock closures on packages of fruit and veggies to reseal properly. I would like store them in the freezer in a reseable glass jar.

Enjoy,
Charlie

The newer FS's swivel up so they take up much less space than they used to. They still do have a footprint, but no where near as big as before.

bugs in food

:ohmy:I recently found a small moth in my raisins and some in my brown rice. I don't know how they got in the brown rice, since it was in a plastic sealed bowl. The raisins were in their original round container with a snap on plastic lid.

I'm going to be using my food sealer now for these type of items. Hopefully that will stop this sort of problem. Carol

been there

:ohmy:I recently found a small moth in my raisins and some in my brown rice. I don't know how they got in the brown rice, since it was in a plastic sealed bowl. The raisins were in their original round container with a snap on plastic lid.

I'm going to be using my food sealer now for these type of items. Hopefully that will stop this sort of problem. Carol

Been there, done that. Feel as though you have been violated when that happens. Nothing else to do but throw out. making some kind of investment to prevent this happening is worth the cost of losing one item. Does this make me upset when it happens. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom