Free Wearever Chicken Bucket Instructions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomW

Senior Cook
Many years ago, I posted Wearever Chicken Bucket Instructions on one of my web pages.

Someone emailed me this morning to advise me that someone was selling my scan of the instruction book on Ebay for $2.99.

Feel free to buy it from him, but I don't mind anyone downloading the instruction book from my site for free.

Tom

Thanks for the Wearever Chicken Bucket instructions

Years back I had one of these and didn't go far with it. I have long wanted to produce Broasted Chicken at home without the regular equipment. I saw one of the CB's at a nearby auction, bought it and tried to use it without proper instructions.

Today your listing came up first in Google and is exactly what I was looking for. I would have gone the eBay route if that was all that was available.

If you have any hints for further approaching the Broasted standard, please let me know.

Red

Hi Red, and welcome to the discuss cooking forum.

Posts like yours make me happy that I contribute to this site - I'm glad that you found the first post's information useful.

My personal "hints-N-tip" is to never overload the pan. I use a scale, and try to not exceed 1-3/4 pounds of chicken in the cooker. If you are looking for special flavor, check out member Ellington's site.

Hope you stick around,
Tom

TomW, thank you so much for posting that pdf booklet--it is just what I was looking for when I came across this site. How fortuitous!

Kathy V

Tom, I just joined this group. Where can I find the instruction booklet for the chicken bucket? I am enjoying checking out the site. Veronica

just click on the underlined link in msg #1 - a pdf download should popup.

Amazon with the kindle books are starting to get that way. Lot of poorly done books for .99 to 5.99 with a bunch of junk recipes. I guess it doesn't help that you can't copyright recipes only collections and the prep instructions which think is funny since there are only so many ways to say mix until well combined.

Robert

But ask yourself this. How many different ways can you make white bread, vanilla ice cream, sausage gravy, etc. Not many. Now you can protect a recipe KFC, coke, etc. Do it, but that isn't something most people can do. I don't think recipes ingredients or directions should be copyrightable nor should collections of recipes. The chances are 99% of the worlds recipes have been created by thousands or more people thorough out the history of cooking.

Robert

:mellow:
But ask yourself this. How many different ways can you make white bread, vanilla ice cream, sausage gravy, etc. Not many. Now you can protect a recipe KFC, coke, etc. Do it, but that isn't something most people can do. I don't think recipes ingredients or directions should be copyrightable nor should collections of recipes. The chances are 99% of the worlds recipes have been created by thousands or more people thorough out the history of cooking.

Robert

This site has had to deal with recipe copyrights in the past. What was learned is recipe instructions/directions can be and often are copyrighted. If you post a recipe here that is copyrighted by an individual or other website, the poster and the site owner are subject to legal action. Rewards can be significant.

Theoretically, if the directions are 'changed substantially', you are OK. There is no definition of 'substantially' so you are at risk.

The solution is to post a link to the recipe on another site and go from there.

It is not enough to give credit for the recipe when you post it. That's just evidence you knew you were doing something wrong.

I only post ingredients and directions that I write myself. I usually go in to more detail as I only share recipes that I have made at least twice in one year or that I created and perfected. I don't bother perfecting recipes I hate.

Robert

>>What was learned is recipe instructions/directions can be and often are copyrighted.

the author's copyright exists the instant the words are committed to paper. the author does not have to "claim" copyright, the author does not have to file local/state/federal forms/applications/non-sense for the copyright to exist.

there is a formal copyright application/filing. that is normally only done in situations like cookbooks to formally establish a claim of the compilation rights.

as mentioned here, a list of ingredients, regardless of order in which they appear or nonsensical difference like "teaspoon" and "tsp" cannot be copyrighted.

it's only the written descriptions - of the dish, taste, flavor, or instructions, that are subject to copyright. and some of that doesn't hold up at all as courts have found some descriptions so commonplace as to not worthy of a "unique and creative work."

all very nice theory for arm chair lawyers. it'll cost a bundle to have the dude with the crab mallet say something about it.

Re: Chicken Bucket info

Greetings, I just joined the site.

What brought me here is this thread.

I've contacted Wear Ever and they aren't too enthusiastic about assisting me in finding parts such as the weight for the vent, and a new gasket for the lid. I have two of these and one does have the gasket. So if you find an aftermarket provider of gaskets here is the number. WE pn # 90024-3-8-1

This gasket measures 8 1/4 OD and 7 7/16 ID. The thickness is 1/8. The gasket width as it lays in the lid is 5/16 of an inch.

In Metric it is 209 mm OD and 189 mm ID. The thickness is 4 mm. The gasket
width as it lays in the lid is 10 mm.

As for the weight that rides on the vent it is held on by a small internal spring clip and the unit weighs 2.5 Oz. Many of these are found in yard sales with that weight missing, but if you find an older pressure cooker weight that will fit it and ride loosely on it then the weight can be cut down to weigh similar. I've done that with a flea market find I paid a dollar for and it originally weighed close to 4 Oz. A friend set it up in his metal lathe and turned metal from the sides until it weighed 2.5 Oz. This weight had a black plastic knob on top with vent holes toward the sides. By screwing the knob in the pointed pin moved further into the weight so it would move and jostle properly. These don't hold much pressure on the interior it seems and seem to allow steam from the moisture of the chicken meat to exit.

I've watched films on the story of Harlan Sanders and saw how he actually used
regular pressure cookers when he started. They looked like the old cast aluminum
outfits with the wooden handles.

One of mine was purchased new at an Eckerds Pharmacy for less than $10 dollars.
It is the smaller one as there was a deeper one of greater capacity but I believe the
widths were the same. (at least that way they wouldn't have to make a second series of lid and cross brace). Some years later I saw this product re-introduced
with an electric heating element fixed to the bottom. So aperently Wear Ever has gone through some investigation of what would be necessary to find a market niche
that would generate sales, comply with product safety & liability, and convenience.

I am so glad to see that instruction manual online as the moths in the attic have been
feasting on mine and it is now quite frail. So before I store it again it will be placed in a zip lock bag with a Bay Leaf in it.

My experience with this has been great. When I was at a Public Library in my school days I found this three volume set of "Recipe Hacks" by a group called "The Kitchen Sleuth's" and they had the 11 different herbs and spices laid out. We began
making that breading and using it with the Chicken Bucket and it was quite successful. We had always used the Crisco in the Electric Skillet method and although it was good, this was a break from that. And since the men were doing the cooking with the Chicken Bucket and the women got to relax a bit, it was just that much more special for everyone.

Last edited:
I too read that book and wrote down the spices and how they did it. Unfortunately we had a tornado wreck part of our home in 2003 and the kitchen area was totaled. Needless to say I lost my cookbooks and recipe binders I had been adding to since I was a little girl. Would you have the list of spices and such, that you could share them with me. I was able to find a replacement Chicken Bucket at a yard sale, and thanks to this site was able to download instruction manual again, but my family loved the chicken when I would cook it as the colonel did. Thanks werhme

What settings on the dial for the Electric Chicken Bucket?

Have a 6 Qt Wearever Chicken Bucket I purchased new about 30+ years ago.
Found it in the goodies in the cellar and cleaned it up. Boils water fine and gasket is in good condition. Can't find instructions. Found the instrctions for the Chickem Bucket you put on top of the stove. It says get oil up to 350 dgrees F. What setting from 1 to 9 should I use on the dial of the Wearever Electric Bucket to get the proper results? Do you turn it all the way to 9? It is a 6 Qt bucket in terrific condition.
How full do you fill the bucket with chicken? Oil line is only about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the bucket but the bucket is very tall. What is the proper amount of chicken to put into the bucket?
Remember it tasted just like the KFC stuff you get at the fast food chain.:chef:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, bighank.

The .pdf instructions posted in this thread's first post should answer most of your questions.

Start with the cooker's max setting for electricity.

If you still need insight, please post a picture of you ELECTRIC chicken bucket. I did not know Wearever made an electric version. Regardless, there is every reason to think you should operate it in accordance with the .pdf instructions posted in this thread's first post.

Happy frying!
Tom

Last edited:
Just cooked a batch of chicken with setting up to 9

The dial goes from WARM and then 1 to 9. It is thermostatically controlled.
Bottom of the bucket says it is 1400 watts (a lot). When setting dial to 9 I waited till the light on the control went off. Oil was hot but do not have a thermometer that goes to 350F. I put egg washed and floured chciken pieces in, waited 3 minutes to brown (they start bubbling the oil as soon as put into it) and then set cover on with knob screwed down tight. First batch looked a little too brown so maybe oil is too hot or it was overcooked. Doing second batch now. Will tell you how they came out after this batch is done.

Looks good but a tad overdone.

Back
Top Bottom