Freezer. How long will food stay frozen with no power?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ahh... I'm sure that aided in mine, too. I had a frost build up on the shelves.

In the book that came with my freezer it says that food will stay frozen in an upright freezer for 24 hours and in a chest freezer for 4 days.

If anything has thawed to a significant degree don't re-freeze it unless you cook it or reheat it thoroughly first. That's a generalisation of course - not everything will cook or reheat successfully or might be dangerous to re-freeze - eg don't re-freeze thawed ice cream and I'd throw away any thawed rice to be on the safe side. Be careful, too, with any meat that has a disproportionately large surface area to the size of the individual piece, such as minced/ground meat, as deterioration affects the surface of the meat first.

(Incidentally, we've kept our chest freezers in a detached brick built garage for 40 years and had no problems with it and my cousins kept theirs in a wooden lean-to shed in the garden with no problems. It seems weird to me that if the temperature drops below a certain temp - 10C/50F? - the freezer will defrost but, then, I'm not a refrigeration engineer).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom