Freezer location?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freezer location

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Side

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bottom

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
My stand alone freezer gets defrosted annually. For long-term storage, frost-free is not a good choice.
I agree!! Speaking of defrosting. When Hurricane Isabel came through here, we lost power for eight days. We lost considerable items from the top freezers of our 2 refrigerators...we simply could not eat it all, fast enough. The big old freezer in the hall, we never opened it until the power came back on. There was a substantial layer of ice all around the sides of the freezer and while the few items on top were thawed they were still very cold. We elected to throw out the stuff on top but underneath everything was still frozen. I ain't sure I will ever defrost that freezer again. Maybe in the dead of winter...

I have to admit I'm surprised how many of you prefer the bottom freezers, and even more surprise at how many of you have stand alone freezers!

I too prefer bottom freezers, when I get a house I plan on purchasing one. Where I'm at right now I have the side-by-side fridge/freezer and I can't stand it. There isn't enough room for anything, on either side.

We have a chest freezer for long term storage. I prefer a top freezer.

I know that things kept in the door of the top freezer tend to develop ice crystals from the door opening and closing and them being exposed to the temperature changes. I assume the same is true for the pull-out drawer? That things on the outside of the basket/drawer have the same problem.

I have top freezer.

I have seen bottom freezer but not side one. may be side one is more useful.

If you look at the poll results, you will see no one voted for the side-by-side. That's probably because you end up with a very narrow vertical space for the freezer and a slightly larger narrow vertical space for the fridge. This may not be an issue for you.

If you look at the poll results, you will see no one voted for the side-by-side. That's probably because you end up with a very narrow vertical space for the freezer and a slightly larger narrow vertical space for the fridge. This may not be an issue for you.

That's because I didn't vote :mrgreen:
Had I voted it would have been side by side, but only to have the refrigerator section top to bottom the whole length. I would rather have my refrigerated items most used at eye level.

I can't do without my chest freezer! I can put more that my monthly meat shop in there and if the power goes out for a while it doesn't defrost. My fridges have freezer compartments at the bottom but I only use them for freezing excess cheese, cold meats, bread and ice trays.

I told you that I have never seen one. If it is a very narrow vertical space, then ofcourse it is not suitable.

Here's one with the doors open. Freezer on the left, refrigerator on the right.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 84

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom