Freezer location?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freezer location

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Side

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bottom

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

.lavieenrose.

Assistant Cook
What is your preference with the location of your freezer? Typical top, french door style on the side, or on the bottom? Which do you think is the most "economical" ei: stores products best? What is just your personal preference?

Last edited:
The best design is the bottom drawer, but for convenience, I prefer the side door. I don't have to bend down as often.

If they aren't too much money, and I hear they are expensive, my next refrigerator will have the freezer in the bottom. Overall I prefer the side design though.
My big freezer's location is in the basement.

Now I have a standard top door freezer.

Years ago we had a bottom slide out and it was very handy, I miss it.

When I was a kid we had a locker at a freezer plant in the next town. Anybody remember those?

I had a side by side that came with the house and I hated it. Not only was it an ugly harvest gold colour, but you couldn't fit a frozen pizza in the freezer! So when I replaced all my appliances, I got a fridge with the freezer on top. Now I wish I bought the one with the freezer on the bottom, so frozen stuff wouldn't have so much time to accelerate before it hits my foot.

I have a top freezer and that's OK. Personally, I don't like the side by side freezer/fridge as freezer side is so narrow.

SO and I have looked at french door fridge with freezer on the bottom. We like that for our next one.

Now I have a standard top door freezer.

Years ago we had a bottom slide out and it was very handy, I miss it.

When I was a kid we had a locker at a freezer plant in the next town. Anybody remember those?
I do indeed remember our family carrying food to a cold storage company in another town. I recall when the first electric freezer that was purchased. Even after that, it was necessary(usually once a year in the summer) to defrost the freezer, which took a lot of time. We packed up everything in the freezer in bushel baskets lined with blankets and carried it all to the cold storage while we defrosted the freezer. Then went back the next day to fetch everything home.

My stand alone freezer gets defrosted annually. For long-term storage, frost-free is not a good choice.

A side-by-side model was already in a house I lived in and couldn't wait to get rid of it. As someone already pointed out, the freezer was too narrow for a pizza. Plus, the refrigerator side was narrow, too. Whenever I planned something like a holiday meal that required large roasting dishes or casseroles, it was a major undertaking moving everything else around in the fridge just to get those containers to fit. Never again will I have a side-by-side.

Currently, and for many years, I've had the freezer on top model. Like it a lot because there's next to no bending over. Yes, the occasional frozen whole chicken does try to escape, but they're usually exiled to the stand alone upright freezer in the other room.

When Glenn and I got married, he was in the market for a new refrigerator, so we looked at a lot of different types/brands. We were leaning toward the freezer on the bottom until I talked with a childhood friend who's been in the appliance business for over 40 years.

He said the freezer on the bottom models are convenient but, until the industry gets some of the bugs out, we'd be better off with a freezer on top. He related that, for some reason, the motors/compressors/etc. fail quite often with the freezer on bottom appliances and that they are quite expensive to repair. More so than the traditional freezer on top ones. The refrigerator we were considering was quite a bit more expensive than a comparable top-freezer model, so we went with what we knew and have been quite happy.

Just my two-cents' worth.

Many nights that is how I decide what I am having for dinner:ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have a small chest freezer which I love, it's an old Coronado, still works great.

The top freezer on the fridge holds popsicles, ice cubes and my frozen herbs. If I had a choice in design, I would have gotten a bottom freezer, but they don't make those in apartment size.

Last edited:
A side-by-side model was already in a house I lived in and couldn't wait to get rid of it. As someone already pointed out, the freezer was too narrow for a pizza...

I'm don't know what kind of make and model you and Sir_Loin_of_Beef had, but did you try adjusting the top shelf of the freezer? On mine, I have enough room for half a dozen frozen pizzas... on edge. ;):chef:

Last edited:
I'm don't know what kind of make and model you and Sir_Loin_of_Beef had, but did you try adjusting the top shelf of the freezer? On mine, I have enough room for half a dozen frozen pizzas... on edge. ;):chef:

Lean Cuisine?;)

But, if your pizza has thawed a little on the way home from the supermarket, well, have you ever had to slam on the brakes on the way home from the pizza place?

img_1019567_0_04776dd34bc08745c344aac12359d248.jpg

Last edited:
I've always preferred the freezer on the bottom. It seems to hold more stuff. I have a chest freezer that has a "flash freeze" setting. I use that when I'm freezing veggies, etc. And, we have 9 other chest freezers between the three houses. Some are actually outside in other buildings...we unplug them as we empty them throughout the year. One is reserved for dog meat and veggies.

I wouldn't miss the freezer that is part of the fridge...I generally use it for short-term stuff--ice cubes, etc.

Last edited:
We have a top freezer, but it is too small and there's always stuff falling out of it. I do have a chest freezer, but right now, DH is using it to temperature regulate his beer. I'd love a bottom freezer.

I have a small chest freezer I picked up at Best Buy for 150 bucks worth of gift cards I had been accumulating for years. It's in the garage and that's where I keep whole turkeys, extra loaves of bread and packages of hot dog and hamburger buns from the used bread store, and my Omaha Steaks orders.

Back
Top Bottom