Freezers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I got my new freezer 8 years ago, I was advised to not get the auto defrost if I was looking for long term storage. Apparently the cycle the auto defrost goes through can shorten the length of time you can keep stuff frozen.

Just a little thought ... cold air falls. When you open an upright freezer the cold air falls out ... in a chest freezer it just stays where it is.

Just a little thought ... cold air falls. When you open an upright freezer the cold air falls out ... in a chest freezer it just stays where it is.
This is why you will often see large chest freezers in a supermarket that do not even have a lid. The cold air pretty much stays put.

I'm sure that is why chests are less expensive to run, too.
And that's why I was a little curious when some refrigerators started putting freezers on the bottom... it certainly can't make the unit as a whole run more efficiently. You are losing the natural flow of cold air from the freezer keeping the fridge at temp. I would much rather have a bottom chest type freezer on a refrigerator though.

And that's why I was a little curious when some refrigerators started putting freezers on the bottom... it certainly can't make the unit as a whole run more efficiently.
I think the freezer on the bottom trend is because people tend to use the fridge more frequently than the freezer. With the fridge on top and freezer on the bottom you have a more natural reach and sight line into the fridge.

I think the freezer on the bottom trend is because people tend to use the fridge more frequently than the freezer. With the fridge on top and freezer on the bottom you have a more natural reach and sight line into the fridge.

That is exactly why I recently changed out a perfectly good Top Freezer fridge for a new Bottom Freezer one. I got tired of having to get down on my knees to find the mustard!! Now ya open the door, and it's right there...at eye level. Next on the agenda...sell a fridge...I have three running now.

First off Sattie, I'm going to go into the appliance store (dedicated, not a box store) and see just how much this is going to cost as opposed to a projected savings. I'm going to stick with the upright, that I know.

On a sidenote, I had a side-by-side fridge for years and loved it. Whether it's a freezer item or a refrigerator item, you had eye level and you had bottom shelf. I think that's been my biggest problem with my new fridge, other than four repairs in seven years.... I just plain don't like it.

My father used to keep a side of beef, butchered into various steaks and dozens of pounds of ground beef in a chest freezer year round. The money you'd save on meat will make a chest freezer worth it, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom