Freezers – Upright, Chest or `Fridge Combo AND What Size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a side by side fridge/freezer in the kitchen. We have tried all 3, top freezer, bottom freezer, and side by side and we very much prefer the side by side. Its easier to keep things organized in the freezer side so that you know what's there and you can find it when you want it.

We hated the fridge with the bottom freezer because bending over and digging around trying to find anything it it is difficult for both of us. Same with the top freezer that made too much of the refrigerator side lower than is comfortable. Neither of us has any interest in a French door refrigerator because it still leaves you with that bottom freezer that we hated.

Side freezer makes organization easier and it's simply easier to find what I'm looking for - most things are immediately visible without having to shift anything around.

Then we have a full size frost free upright freezer in the garage (never have any more of a problem with freezer burn than with the manual defrost one we had when we lived in Denver). We need the full size one when we get a half or a quarter of beef. Living out here in cattle country, it only makes sense to buy on the hoof. We generally split a whole or a half with my wife's brother.

It also gives me the luxury of buying whatever I happen to see on sale and know that I always have room for it. I try to keep on hand a bag of chicken breasts and another one of drumsticks, a couple of DiGiorno Pizzeria style frozen pizzas, and a goodly stock of frozen veggies, as well as what my wife blanches and freezes from the garden.

We would never ever own a chest type freezer for all of the reasons mentioned above, as well as the additional footprint takes up too much usable floor space. The upright fits perfectly in the corner of the garage next to my workbench. and still lets us keep her SUV and my F-150 in the garage too.

Back
Top Bottom