Gas oven stove top - all settings seem high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Our new gas ovens stove top is hard to manage must past the Low Settings. In other words, anything higher than "low or 2" just ends up being too high. It starts off as Low and than goes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and High. There is one burner that is lower than the others and specifically says simmer burner, which is great. Does this make sense? I find that when I'm looking at advise or following recipes, it's hard for me to follow the guidelines for the settings. For example: I was recently reading some advise on cooking omeletes. I cook scrambled eggs all the time and sometimes omelets. If I put it on number 2 or Low I'm safe. Anything higher than that and forget it. Even 2 sometimes is a bit much. Using eggs as another example, I learned a long time ago that the best way to cook scrambled eggs is to cook on low for a good couple of minutes and than raise it up pretty high and gently fold it. I can't do that anymore, raising it up any higher will do damage to the egg "lol".

Advantage: well things cook very quickly "lol".

It's possible the burners need an adjustment. Try to take care of it before the warranty expires.

I grew up with electric and had electric in all my apartments. My husband grew up with gas and claims that's how they are...especially new ones. My MIL has a gas stove that is similiar and has had it for many years. Hers does the same thing. It's not that I can't cook anything past the #2. I of course boil water past that number and put it on medium for certain things. Perhaps that is why they specifically have simmer burner....because people complained they couldn't simmer anything with the other burners since the lowest setting "Low" isn't quite a relaxing simmer.

Andy M. said:
It's possible the burners need an adjustment. Try to take care of it before the warranty expires.

Or before something on the stove seriously burns and they might end up redecorating the kitchen.:ohmy:

Last edited:
It's a Kenmore 790. I'm looking in the book and I don't see info on the btu's. I'm still looking. I don't know, maybe it's ok and I"m exaggerating without meaning it. It's just when I want to simmer something unless I put it on the simmer burner...the LOW setting doesn't simmer and like I said most things I cook especially eggs have to be either on LOw or 2 since anything higher than 2 is way too high. Eggs isn't the only example.

It's also a matter of what kinds of pans you are using. Good thick metal 2.5mm or more or tri ply pans will spread the heat evenly. Cheaper ones have hot spots where food burns and sticks.

legend_018 said:
I grew up with electric and had electric in all my apartments. My husband grew up with gas and claims that's how they are...especially new ones. My MIL has a gas stove that is similiar and has had it for many years. Hers does the same thing. It's not that I can't cook anything past the #2. I of course boil water past that number and put it on medium for certain things. Perhaps that is why they specifically have simmer burner....because people complained they couldn't simmer anything with the other burners since the lowest setting "Low" isn't quite a relaxing simmer.

I've only had ONE all-electric apartment that I know of, and it was the very first apartment I moved into from home.

My pans are T-Fal pans. That's all it says on the back of the pans. I have some ones too, but that's a set that I have.

I have a Frigidaire range that I can't stand. (rants in other posts) Anyway, if I slowly turn my burner down from High, the flame goes from high to 6, 5, back to high, 4,3 and so on. What a piece of ****! And whats with the Power Plus and Simmer burners??? Get that **** outta there!

I'll trade you my stove. Everything is too low, nothing gets hot or cooks fast enough. I think it is so low that they don't even make that stove anymore. But omlet will be perfect, so when can we trade?

CharlieD said:
I'll trade you my stove. Everything is too low, nothing gets hot or cooks fast enough. I think it is so low that they don't even make that stove anymore. But omlet will be perfect, so when can we trade?

Ha Ha you made me laugh. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom