Gas stove/oven cooking vs electric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

socabecky

Assistant Cook
All my life (26 years) we have only had electric appliances, so I learned how to cook on an electric stove and over. Now, I am about to move into an apartment and to my surprise (and fear!!) it's a gas stove/oven combo. So now I am desperate and I have come here in hopes that someone can tell me the difference between gas and electric and how I will have to alter my cooking style and times, etc. Basically I have to learn how to cook all over again and I'm a little nervous!

Nah, don't worry about it so much!

Gas temperatures fluctuate more and you must preheat the oven - I wait for the flames to change colour.

When you bake, you need to keep an eye on your goods to ensure it is rising evenly. The closer to the flame, the hotter it is. (Well it is in mine but mine is old.)

Cooking times can vary more so you need to check on things esp towards the end as you can sometimes need more time than you think.

Don't overfill pots on the stove top as if the liquid bubbles over the sides, you can put the flame out and you just have gas pumping into your kitchen! That has happened to me.

I prefer an electric oven for baking and a gas stove top - you have more control over both.

The real thing though is to just get in there and try as each oven is different. Get yourself an oven thermometer to check the accuracy of your gauge - mine runs about 5 - 10C colder than the dial. When trying it out, don't try fancy dishes, go with some standards that you are familiar with so that you can judge the differences.

I grew up with gas, moved and spend 10 years with electric, and then moved again and have had gas for the last 10 years. The only problems I have truly had have been with cooking choux pastry.

Oh and welcome to DC!

Back
Top Bottom