Gas stove recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankycook

Assistant Cook
In my internet search for a new 30" slide-in gas stove, I have googled "complaints" about various brands and am overwhelmed by the number of posts that say "don't ever by this product" on everything! Please respond with positive posts about your stove.

When reading reviews, you have to look at the totality. If 20 people responded, you will always get one or two who will complain. If you see more complaints than favorable reviews, look elsewhere.

You could go to the library and read the Consumer Reports on this topic. The regularly review kitchen appliances and provide good information.

gas stove recommendations

I don't trust Consumer Reports. I have made purchases based on their recommendations and found them to be wanting. I'd much rather go to end users for their experiences.

For major appliances, I've found it's more important to find a retailer you can trust than the brand. They all have problems occasionally. You need a retailer with a service department that can take care of you and not leave you waiting for three months while they order a part from Luxembourg.

I have a high end gas range. Wolf. It costs good money. It come with a 2 year everything warrenty and a 5 year limited warrenty. There is a 24/7 customer service line. They take customer service very seriously. I know 2 other people with Wolfs, both are very happy. I know 3 people with Viking. 2 are not happy. My salesman steered me away from Viking. However, many people obviously like them.

Dacor also has nice high end appliances. I have a fridge from them. Their customer service is poor. I will not have a product from them again. Thermador is another company with a long standing reputation.

I have cooked on DCS, Bluestar, and Capital. All seem fine. I have cooked on commercial ranges by Wolf, Vulcan, and Hart.

Simpler home ranges...Whirlpool (top end ok) regular poor. Magic Chef used to be good. GE has a fancy end. And on it goes. Go to Lowes, Home Depot, various appliance companies and see for yourself. You can get 4 or 5 burners on a 30" range. So check out your options.

Last edited:
Hi Crackycook, what did you end up with? I am looking for a 30" slide-in gas stove as well and had the exact experience as you! Very frustrating and am confused and scared to buy a stove. I too do not trust Consumer Reports due to my experience with things I bought from their recommendations. So, I was looking at a Eletrolux at Lowe's.....not quite sure what to do. I really wanted a Wolf but can't afford the $5,000 price! Wish I could find a comparable stove to Wolf, but with a much lower price.

Just wondering what you ended up getting?
Thanks!

I have a Frigidare 30" gas flat cook top stove that I bought after extensive research. It has 5 burners with a simmer burner that is fabulous and a high heat burner for quick boil. It also has convection. I looked at Wolfe, Jenn-aire, etc and this is the best deal I could find with the extras I wanted. I love this stove! I forgot, it also comes with a griddle insert.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you recipedirect for that tip. I will look into a Frigedare. Glad you are happy with your new stove.

i HAVE TWO ge GAS STOVES IN THE HOUSE AND AM VERY HAPPY WITH BOTH OF THEM. oNE HAS 4 BURNERS AND THE OTHER ONE HAS 5. Oops, sorry. Have to say I do not use that 5-th burner, maybe couple-three times in the last year and a half since I bought the stove.

Thanks CharlieD!! I was wondering about that and if I would need that 5th burner. I have never really thought, "Boy, I sure wish I had a 5th burner." So, I might just stick to 4. It helps to hear what you had to say. Do you favor one stove over the other and what kind of stoves do you have (if you are comfortable in saying).

Thanks again for your thoughts!

I can post models when I get home. I don't think I favor one over another. I keep kosher and cannot mix meat and dairy products, so I basically have two kitchens. Two stoves, two sinks, two sets of dishes and pots.

I think both stoves perform very comparably; one is older than the other. I used to have Kitchen Aid glass top that broke and I had to replace it. I bought the 5 burner one. I was very excited to buy it, but really don’t think I have utilized it. I don’t even know why, I had all this big plans to use the griddle that comes for that middle burner, but as a habit I keep using the frying pan.

They both have one big burner and one small, and two regular ones. Tea boils pretty fast on the big burner, so doe’s water for soup. I use that burner a lot.
There is a post below where I described the problem with burning of the food in the oven, but it was my fault.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom