General Electric Co. to Sell its Major Appliances Division.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
I heard this morning on Early Today that General Electric is planning to sell off its major appliance divisson.

Has anyone else heard this as well? I wonder if Whirlpool will snatch THEM up as well. They got just about everyone else.

For years, they've made their own major appliances, and now, like most other co's, they're selling that division off.

I heard this morning on Early Today that General Electric is planning to sell off its major appliance divisson.

Has anyone else heard this as well? I wonder if Whirlpool will snatch THEM up as well. They got just about everyone else.

For years, they've made their own major appliances, and now, like most other co's, they're selling that division off.

read this in paper this am. just have to wait and see, i guess. doesn't really affect me much, i don't think.

babe:LOL:

Has anyone else heard this as well?

Probably everyone who was watching the morning news shows - I heard about it on three different networks between 5-7 am.

Not really surprising. GE is famous (notorious?) for being ruthlessly efficient (especially under Jack Welch) about spinning off divisions that they felt were under performing, had hit their peak, or weren't able to be tops in their industry. It'll be interesting to see who buys them.

I don't know what is meant by "Major Appliance Division" but at this point in time, the appliance division is a relatively small part of GE. The appliance division will be put up for auction and it is not known who will bid on it. But guesses are circulating that a German, Chinese and a Mexican company could be interested in bidding. All three of these possible companies are making no statements.

what with the housing market slowing (slowed) furniture and appliance dealers and manufacturers are also having a hard time making sales. There is a real ripple effect.

Not really surprising. GE is famous (notorious?) for being ruthlessly efficient (especially under Jack Welch) about spinning off divisions that they felt were under performing, had hit their peak, or weren't able to be tops in their industry. It'll be interesting to see who buys them.

I'm willing to bet that Whirlpool will throw their name in the hat. They've been successful in getting just about every company out there.

They just bought Maytag last year. It's getting to the point where most of the brand name appliance co's are being owned by Whirlpool.

I'm willing to bet that Whirlpool will throw their name in the hat. They've been successful in getting just about every company out there.

They just bought Maytag last year. It's getting to the point where most of the brand name appliance co's are being owned by Whirlpool.

Which limits the choices, in my opinion. I've always bought GE because I like their products/features, have always had good experience with them. I guess I may need to get my new electric stove sooner than I planned.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say that they wouldn't buy a Whirlpool, Maytag or Kenmore Elite appliance because they've had bad experiences witrh them, but they would quickly buy a K'Aid or an Estate major appliance or a Roper.

But little do they know that ALL of those appliances brands come out of the Whirlpool factory!

Last edited:
:) Iv'e always done well with Whirlpool. When I need to buy a new appliance I check out Consumer Reports before I buy, it has always worked for me.

You can also go here; Reviews from Epinions . They feature reviews on products and services in just about every field.

I, also, have not had a bad Whirlpool appliance. The fridge and the large window a/c unit was made by them.

Never had any problems with Kenmore either! Even though the Kenmore portable washer's transmission was replaced, it lasted almost 5 years before the repair was needed.

A little bit of history with the major appliance industry;

I remember many, many years back in the very early '70s when KitchenAid ran their magazine ads on their dishwashers, saying that they were made much better than every other brand that was around during that era. Well, they WERE. But only because Hobart had owned the division back then. Their slogan back then was; "KitchenAid: Built better, not cheaper." I had wanted a KitchenAid dishwasher back then so bad. I DID eventually get one in the mid '80s. It lasted for 16 years.

Maytag had based their reputation soley on their then-popular washers and dryers - a reason that their diswashers and garbage disposers were such a big hit back then as well. I've owned a Maytag washer & dryer pair for nine years with absolutely no problems at all. But in recent years, Maytag's reputation began to go south and they were losing big time in sales, profit, as well as their reputation because they had reverted back to making the Norge / Admiral-style washers and dryers, which were nothing but 100% pure junk and nobody liked those models at all. Remember them? So they needed a good strong pumping-up, and the only way to do that was to get out of the major appliance business and sell out, but keep the Maytag name.

Frigidaire appliances, at the time, was made by General Motors. Remember the pulsating agitator in their machines that moved up and down during washing and rinsing? They've now changed hands at least twice that I know of - White Westinghouse (owned back then by White Consolidated Industries, who also made Westinghouse, Kelvinator and Gibson appliances), and now Electrolux Co.

General Electric was still going as strong as ever with their washers and dryers as well as their refrigerators, dishwashers & freezers. The co. ran extensive magazine adds on their dishwashers that featured the Pot Scubber Cycles and even made a guarrantee that if the cycle didn't work like they said it would that you could have the machine picked up and your money happily refunded. GE even threw in a free set of non-stick cookware as an extra added attraction!

Hotpoint was also owned by them, followed later with JC Penny and RCA in the '80s. I once owned a GE dryer.

Not to be left out is Whirlpool (formerly RCA Whirlpool) who's been around since the '50s. Their washers and dryers were also big sellers as is their refrigerators and diswashers. They've made Kenmore (now Kenmore Elte) for many years. Now they make lower cost lest expensive no-frills brands like Roper, Estate, Inglis and the more expensive KitchenAid models and Maytag.

Then there were Speed Queen and Amana - both were owned first by McGraw Edison, and then by Raytheon at one time. Their washers were crap! I had one in the mid '80s to the early '90s that had wimped out and went south. That was when I swithed over to Maytag. Amana is still around, but I think the Speed Queen name has faded in the dust.

I guess that if I were to get another dishwasher or any other major appliance, I'd choose a Whirlpool.

Sears also sells low-end Kenmore major appliances that are Fridgidaire look-alikes. Stay away from these, because like Fridgidaire, these are no good!

Last edited:
I have to admit I also have a soft-spot for GE. I grew up 20 minutes from the Main/Original GE complex in upstate NY. We used to have all GE stuff from appliances to christmas lights. It is just kind of sad to see another icon fall.. like the end of the Sears-Roebuck catalog. Guess I'm just feeling sentimental this morning... I keep thinking about my Grandparents kitchen full of GE everything (my Grandfathe worked in the GE turbine factory).

Last edited:
Incidentally, Sears DID sell GE's major appliances like their washers and dryers in the catolog when it was in circulation, as well as in the Sears stores themselves. Back then, it was called Sears Brand Central.

For many, many years, Sears only sold Kenmore and Sears products. Their refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners were named Sears Coldspot. That name had disappeared around the mid '70s.

Feeling the pressure from consumers around the late '80s or the early '90s as to why Sears never sold other brand name appliances in addtion to their own, Sears began selling other name brands as well.

Yeah, I miss the Sears catalog mhyself. I used to be alongst the first, if not THE first to run to the nearest Sears store to get the catalog! I remember when they charged $5.00 for it, and when you ordered something from it, you got $5.00 off the purchase price.

I used to browse through it and just dream of the things that I wanted. I also miss the JC Penny catalog as well.

Last edited:
Speculation About Bidders

The financial websites were thinking that the main bidders would be foreign companies wanting access to the U.S. market. G.E. has not done well as far as selling appliances abroad and is basically a U.S. brand with significant market share in this market. Two names that were being bandied about were LG of Korea (who also bought Zenith for TVs) and Haier from China. Germany's Bosch is another possible bidder. In some ways, I think that we as a country are letting go of too much of the industry that this country was built on. My gut tells me that in the long term, we will regret it.

Agreed, 100%. The only thing we produce in this country anymore is debt. And recent experience has shown that it's low-quality debt at that.

Seems that just about EVERYTHING is made overseas, up to and including structural steel for skyscrapers!!

But I still think that Whirlpool might have thrown THEIR name in the hat, even though nothing has been said as to whether THEY want to buy the division yet.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
Sears also sells low-end Kenmore major appliances that are Fridgidaire look-alikes. Stay away from these, because like Fridgidaire, these are no good!

I was thinking Whirlpool made the Kenmore lines...Am I wrong??

Back
Top Bottom