Griddle recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wiggler7

Assistant Cook
Hello! I'm new to cooking forums. Mostly a gearhead by nature, so more into the automotive repair/car audio help sites... but now decided to invest more time in my kitchen...lol!

Anyway,

I'm hoping someone can recommend an electric griddle readily available at typical retail/premium retail outlets, that has the electric coils closely arranged for the most even temperature surface possible. The basic Faberware one from Wal-mart that I have has a wide loop, so the temperature is not the same in the center as it is on the edges.

Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

Last edited:
ATK's recommendation was the Broil King where they tested the temperature across it and found only a 10°F variance. I have a Presto… which works pretty well so long as you take a little extra time in preheating it.

Thanks.... I'm using mine to make a loosely derived crepes style dish, so the even heating surface is CRUCIAL. I called around to try and find the Broil King but no-one carries it locally. I'll just go to the local HD and get the Presto like you have I guess... people say that the heat is uniformly distributed in the reviews.

Thanks.... I'm using mine to make a loosely derived crepes style dish, so the even heating surface is CRUCIAL. I called around to try and find the Broil King but no-one carries it locally. I'll just go to the local HD and get the Presto like you have I guess... people say that the heat is uniformly distributed in the reviews.

May I ask a couple of questions? Are you looking to use the griddle for other things too? If you are not, why not buy something that is meant for the tast? There are electric crepes pans available, and not very expensive either. Amazon carries them. They might be found at department stores of restuarant supply stores too.

I'm asking because, sometimes, trying to force something to work in an unintended way, is not the best way?

My Presto is "pretty good", but has hot spots. They generally smooth out if I preheat for a long time. It is great for pancakes, home made pita, tortillas, etc., but I don't use it for crepes.

I have a Milwaukee infrared thermometer and frankly, I haven't had a single electric grill/griddle that came close to a good pan on the cooktop as far as even heat was concerned.

So here is another thought, an induction hob with a compatible crepe pan. Heat control and even heating is amazing because induction heats the pan directly and not the cooktop surface. You do have to use cookware with iron in it for induction to work, so cast iron, carbon steel, stainless clad will all work great.

I use mine almost exclusively for delicates like sauces, some seafoods, omeletes, crepes, etc.

My Presto is "pretty good", but has hot spots. They generally smooth out if I preheat for a long time. It is great for pancakes, home made pita, tortillas, etc., but I don't use it for crepes.

I have a Milwaukee infrared thermometer and frankly, I haven't had a single electric grill/griddle that came close to a good pan on the cooktop as far as even heat was concerned.

So here is another thought, an induction hob with a compatible crepe pan. Heat control and even heating is amazing because induction heats the pan directly and not the cooktop surface. You do have to use cookware with iron in it for induction to work, so cast iron, carbon steel, stainless clad will all work great.

I use mine almost exclusively for delicates like sauces, some seafoods, omeletes, crepes, etc.

For induction, if a magnet will stick to the pan, it should work on the induction surface. I love my induction cooktops and standalone too. They clean up so quick & easy!

I'm still wondering why OP needs a "socket wrench" but is asking for recommendations for a "pair of pliers"? I think a crepe pan as described above, or as a standalone electric unit might serve better?

I'm still wondering why OP needs a "socket wrench" but is asking for recommendations for a "pair of pliers"? I think a crepe pan as described above, or as a standalone electric unit might serve better?

Apologies...let me say again... what I am making is a LOOSELY DERIVED crepes TYPE of dish. This particular style calls for an oblong cooking surface, not a circular one. There are also no utensils utlized to apply the batter either, so it takes the form of the surface onto which it is applied. All the electric crepes pans I've seen are round.

Apologies...let me say again... what I am making is a LOOSELY DERIVED crepes TYPE of dish. This particular style calls for an oblong cooking surface, not a circular one. There are also no utensils utlized to apply the batter either, so it takes the form of the surface onto which it is applied. All the electric crepes pans I've seen are round.

Ok... I think I get it, but think you are challenged doing crepes on an electric griddle. My cooktop has a bridge element between the left front and back burners. If you have a similar arrangement you should consider a griddle pan that will span them as it will be more consistent than an electric griddle.

If you have to use an electric griddle, just preheat it 2 or 3 times longer than the recommended time to allow most of it to heat evenly. This would be great ok for crepes, but if you are doing any real volume of food in addition you'll want to let the griddle re-warm between batches.

Ahhhh, now I see! I do hope you find the perfect pan, or at least something that works as you need it to work!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom